Does undergraduate Physics school matter?

1. ..... if you are going to go to grad school? I read somewhere just now that it doesn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Are you asking whether something like a Major in Physics is required in order to move on to say, a Masters in Physics?

I would think not, however your Major/Specialization should be in something related, ie Math, Computer Science, Astronomy?, Chem.?

I know that to get into say graduate studies for Astronomy at my school, you don't need a Major in Astronomy or anything related for that matter.

4. No no, i meant the school.

I am sorry, i should have been more clear. I want to know if the undergrad school matters if you are going to go to grad school

5. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 30,165
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You may want to read this:

http://www.aip.org/isns/reports/2004/013.html

As an aside: please take note that AIP website has TONS of statistics on physics students/physicists/employment/etc., relevant to people in the US or intending to go to school in the US. I strongly recommend people check here first to see if there's any info already answered there.

Zz.

6. Essentially, no. The major factor in your post-graduate success is y-o-u.

There is one factor that often gets left out of the equation: Letters of recommendation. In my experience, you have a better chance of receiving a great letter if you attend a school that has a smaller department, for obvious reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?