1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Does university rank matter?

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    I am choosing between a rank 24 uni and a rank 45 uni, should rank have any effect on my decision?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this for undergrad? A difference that big does mean something. If you know what you want to major in, you might also want to look at how good that specific department is.

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    The rank 24 uni is Australian National University, it's known to be an excellent university for post graduate studies and research which means I can continue with my post graduate studies after completing my bachelor at the same uni, the other is Sydney uni or uni of NSW, Sydney is good for commerce, science and medicine and UNSW is good for science and engineering.
    If I go to ANU I have to move to a different state and live there (they give a $40000 scholarship) with the other two I can stay at home.
    In general does uni rank matter when it comes to education/recognition?

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it makes a huge difference. It will affect you every day for the rest of your life. If ANU is offering you a generous scholarship, then IMO you'd be nuts not to go there.

You shouldn't be picking your undergrad school based on their grad program. It's very uncommon for people to go to grad school at the same university where they did their undergrad degree. For one thing, there's no guarantee that you'd be admitted there for grad school.

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5
    Almost all undergrad courses at ANU are in the Research and Development category i.e. most students who do them go into post graduate studies, if I was to do my post graduate studies at a different university it will have to be an overseas university because ANU is the best in Australia.
    I still have about 10 months to make my final decision but I'm very interested in http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4715HBENG;overview.html
    Since I made a decision I can relax now and concentrate on my studies :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook