Does vengeance achieve justice?

• Thread starter franz32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about whether vengeance achieves justice or not. The speaker is currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo and believes that vengeance can bring justice. However, others argue that it is wrong and only adds unnecessary suffering. The conversation also mentions The Cask of Amontillado, but the topic of vengeance remains the main focus.
franz32
Hi everyone... I want your sides...

Does vengeance achieve justice? Peace? or strife?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently halfway through reading The Count of Monte Cristo, a story about vengeance, so I will let you know when I am done with it. It's really, really thick and runs to more than a 1000 pages so wish me luck! :smile:

So far, the vengeance narrated in the book seems to achieve some justice. So vengeance looks like a pretty cool thing to me now!

But I have a feeling things are about to change for Edmond Dantes, the books's protagonist. Excuse me while I continue reading page 551 of the book.

I'm sure that vengeance has served useful purposes, but I'm heavily opposed to the idea of vengeance.

People make up words like "justice" to describe revenge so they can act like their immorality is the right thing to do.

What has happened is in the past. Many people want to hurt others just to "get back" at someone who's hurt them or someone they know, but this just adds unnecessary suffering. Hurting someone for pain's sake is a vice, not a virtue.

Now, sometimes taking punitive measures is good for preventing future crimes. But this should be distinguished from revenge for revenge's sake, which is wholly unethical.

vengeance is satisfactory but wrong.

By the way...

I forgot to mention something.. the story was The Cask of Amontillado. Anyways, thanks for the replies... I still want to "listen" from others. =)

What is vengeance?

Vengeance is the act of seeking revenge or retribution for a perceived wrong or injustice.

What is justice?

Justice is the concept of fairness and moral righteousness in the treatment of individuals and society as a whole.

Does vengeance achieve justice?

It is debatable whether vengeance achieves justice. While it may bring a sense of satisfaction to the person seeking revenge, it often perpetuates a cycle of violence and does not address the root cause of the initial injustice.

What are the potential consequences of seeking vengeance?

Seeking vengeance can lead to further harm and damage, both to the individual seeking revenge and to others involved. It can also result in legal consequences and strain relationships.

Is there a better alternative to vengeance for achieving justice?

Yes, there are alternative methods for achieving justice that do not involve vengeance. These may include seeking legal recourse, mediation, forgiveness, and promoting systemic change to prevent future injustices.