Does working hard make you a good person?

Good people could work hard to earn a living via a job of some sort.

Likewise, bad people could also work hard to earn a living via crime.

Both good and bad people can be lazy (as all of us can be at times) if they are overly tired/stressed and havent drunk their coffee.

Dissident Dan said:
Does working hard make you a good person?

Does being lazy make you a bad person?

Both yes and no to both. I do believe there are too many philosophical minds here that want ONE answer, while there could be many answers depending on the situation and the circumstances. That's my comment.

ogb p said:
From the subjective perspective of a master (employer): A hard working slave (employee) is better than a lazy one.

From the subjective perspective of a hedonist: Playing hard is working hard.

From the subjective perspective of Larry Wall (creator of the PERL scripting language): Laziness is a programmers greatest virtue.

From yet another subjective perspective: We work inorder to afford our laziness.

Brilliant!

I try to be an intellectual hedonist. I only fail to the extent that: 1) My brain is rather mediocre; and 2) My job eats up my time and energy. You see, I take play very seriously. I want to see a world where everyone works as little as possible so that they can play as much as possible. Unfortunately, we are not even heading in the right direction. Work hours continue to pile up, both parents work, and universities have almost completely mutated into job training centres. So it doesn't surprise me that the average quality of play in this world is rather poor. Instead of playing smart by learning algebraic geometry, or seeing how many globular clusters you can "rack up" with your small telescope, or spending a couple of weeks in the wilderness living only on what you carry on your back, most people play dumb by sitting on the couch watching the idiot box, or drinking themselves into a drunken stupor and wondering why they woke up in an alleyway with a broken nose, or going shopping for silly items they don't need just because that's what everyone else does. The work ethic needs to be replaced by a play ethic.

Any good thread about work needs to have a link to the following article by the iconoclastic Bob Black:

http://www.inspiracy.com/black/abolition/abolitionofwork.html

:smile:

Work ethic doesn't necessarily make one good or evil. However, laziness can breed socio-economic conditions conducive to certain concepts of "evil". On the other hand, hard working people are admired for their virtue.

A society that has no work ethic is a society that is on the verge of collapse. That's just my opinion but laziness isn't as good as stout professionalism, in terms of productivity. Productivity = material success. Material success = less poverty. Less poverty = more opportunities. More opportunities = Easier life. Easier life = more opportunity for happiness. All of the above = potentially better and more productive society (which can lead to innovations such as engineering, math, physics, the internet, etc).

The opposite, of course, would have all the opposites of the above. One of the hall marks of such an opposite productive society is strife. Strife = bad for everyone's welfare and the stability of society.

We live in a material world and this discussion is very much rooted in the material. I think it is generally accepted common wisdom that, laziness is bad. It doesn't do anything for anybody but stagnate things. In terms of evolution, stagnation = extinction.

I think in this discussion, what should be remembered is that all things in excess can be very bad. On the other hand, all things in moderation can be good or at least can't hurt. Too much or too little can dictate which recipe for disaster one will have at a given time.

Last edited: