1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does |z> = |+z> + |-z> ?

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    does |z> = |+z> + |-z> ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    No, |+z> + |-z> = |z> - |z> = 0.
  4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    umm..., no.
  5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    What is [itex] | z \rangle [/itex]?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  6. Sep 30, 2006 #5
    In quantum mechanics, |z> is a state vector read at "ket z".

It describes the state a particle is in.
  7. Sep 30, 2006 #6
    Yeah, but if [itex] | z_+ \rangle, | z_- \rangle [/itex] are basekets of the Hilbert space you consider, your equation would be a definition of [itex] | z \rangle[/itex]
  8. Sep 30, 2006 #7
    is it a valid/correct definition?

I'm in an intro quantum class and I need to calculate:

so far, we have just been calculating things like: <+or-phi|+or-psi>

Now we are asked to calculate things like:

Which i read as that is the amplitude of something in either the +x or -x state being in the -z state.
  9. Sep 30, 2006 #8
    No since |z>=(1,0) in the z basis and |-z>= (0,1) in the z basis you could a. never get a scalar under addition and you could not get an answer of the zero vector since these vectors are linearly independent and form a complete basis. For your previous post you need to calculate what |-z> is in the x basis or what |x> is in the z basis to compute the inner product. Griffiths QM or Liboff are good sources for this. As is Nielsen and Chuang

Hope that helps
  10. Sep 30, 2006 #9
    |z> is not equal to |+z>

I thought |+z>=(1,0)
  11. Sep 30, 2006 #10
    For a QM-Interpretation you have to normalize the statevector, so that
    [itex] \langle z | z \rangle = 1 [/itex]. If [itex] \langle z_+ | z_+ \rangle = 1 [/itex] and [itex] \langle z_- | z_- \rangle = 1[/itex]-, this not the case here.

I wouldn't say "amplitude" but "probability": [itex] |\langle -z | x \rangle|^2 [/itex] is the probability to measure "z-spin-down" on a particle of which you know it is in state "x-spin-up".
  12. Sep 30, 2006 #11
    <-z|-z> = 1

<-z|-z> means what is the "probability" amplitude that a particle in state |-z> will be in state |-z>
  13. Sep 30, 2006 #12
    Yeah, I just wanted to say that your probability of finding z in state z from the equation above would be [itex] 2^2=4 [/itex], so you have to normalize.
  14. Sep 30, 2006 #13
    you dont have to write the plus explicity. |z>=|+z>=(1,0) which is not equal to -|-z>=(0,-1). The negatives are part of the nomenclature and do not have algebraic signifigance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?