Understanding the Difference Between |z>, |+z>, and |-z> in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Agnostic
  • Start date
In summary, |z> is a state vector used in quantum mechanics to describe the state a particle is in. It is not equal to the sum of |+z> and |-z>, which would result in 0. To calculate things like <-z|x>, one must first find the state vector of |-z> in the x basis. The state vector must also be normalized in order to find the probability of measuring a particle in a certain state. The notation for state vectors does not have algebraic significance.
Agnostic
does |z> = |+z> + |-z> ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, |+z> + |-z> = |z> - |z> = 0.

Logarythmic said:
No, |+z> + |-z> = |z> - |z> = 0.

umm..., no.

What is [itex] | z \rangle [/itex]?

Last edited:
Hargoth said:
What is [itex] | z \rangle [/itex]?

In quantum mechanics, |z> is a state vector read at "ket z".

It describes the state a particle is in.

Yeah, but if [itex] | z_+ \rangle, | z_- \rangle [/itex] are basekets of the Hilbert space you consider, your equation would be a definition of [itex] | z \rangle[/itex]

Hargoth said:
Yeah, but if [itex] | z_+ \rangle, | z_- \rangle [/itex] are basekets of the Hilbert space you consider, your equation would be a definition of [itex] | z \rangle[/itex]

is it a valid/correct definition?

I'm in an intro quantum class and I need to calculate:

so far, we have just been calculating things like: <+or-phi|+or-psi>

Now we are asked to calculate things like:

<-z|x>

Which i read as that is the amplitude of something in either the +x or -x state being in the -z state.

Agnostic said:
does |z> = |+z> + |-z> ?

No since |z>=(1,0) in the z basis and |-z>= (0,1) in the z basis you could a. never get a scalar under addition and you could not get an answer of the zero vector since these vectors are linearly independent and form a complete basis. For your previous post you need to calculate what |-z> is in the x basis or what |x> is in the z basis to compute the inner product. Griffiths QM or Liboff are good sources for this. As is Nielsen and Chuang

Hope that helps

jonestr said:
No since |z>=(1,0) in the z basis and |-z>= (0,1) in the z basis you could a. never get a scalar under addition and you could not get an answer of the zero vector since these vectors are linearly independent and form a complete basis. For your previous post you need to calculate what |-z> is in the x basis or what |x> is in the z basis to compute the inner product. Griffiths QM or Liboff are good sources for this. As is Nielsen and Chuang

Hope that helps

|z> is not equal to |+z>

I thought |+z>=(1,0)

Agnostic said:
is it a valid/correct definition?

I'm in an intro quantum class and I need to calculate:

so far, we have just been calculating things like: <+or-phi|+or-psi>

Now we are asked to calculate things like:

<-z|x>

Which i read as that is the amplitude of something in either the +x or -x state being in the -z state.
For a QM-Interpretation you have to normalize the statevector, so that
[itex] \langle z | z \rangle = 1 [/itex]. If [itex] \langle z_+ | z_+ \rangle = 1 [/itex] and [itex] \langle z_- | z_- \rangle = 1[/itex]-, this not the case here.

I wouldn't say "amplitude" but "probability": [itex] |\langle -z | x \rangle|^2 [/itex] is the probability to measure "z-spin-down" on a particle of which you know it is in state "x-spin-up".

Hargoth said:
For a QM-Interpretation you have to normalize the statevector, so that
[itex] \langle z | z \rangle = 1 [/itex]. If [itex] \langle z_+ | z_+ \rangle = 1 [/itex] and [itex] \langle z_- | z_- \rangle = 1[/itex]-, this not the case here.

I wouldn't say "amplitude" but "probability": [itex] |\langle -z | x \rangle|^2 [/itex] is the probability to measure "z-spin-down" on a particle of which you know it is in state "x-spin-up".

<-z|-z> = 1

<-z|-z> means what is the "probability" amplitude that a particle in state |-z> will be in state |-z>

Yeah, I just wanted to say that your probability of finding z in state z from the equation above would be [itex] 2^2=4 [/itex], so you have to normalize.

you don't have to write the plus explicity. |z>=|+z>=(1,0) which is not equal to -|-z>=(0,-1). The negatives are part of the nomenclature and do not have algebraic signifigance.

1. What is the meaning of "z" in this equation?

"z" is a variable that represents a complex number in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you interpret the notation |z>?

The notation |z> represents a quantum state or vector in a Hilbert space. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a quantum system.

3. What does the "+" and "-" symbols signify in this equation?

The "+" and "-" symbols represent the two possible spin states of a quantum particle. In this equation, |+z> represents the spin state with spin up along the z-axis, while |-z> represents the spin state with spin down along the z-axis.

4. Is the equation |z> = |+z> + |-z> always true?

Yes, this equation is always true for any given quantum state |z>. It is a result of the mathematical properties of quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of this equation in quantum mechanics?

This equation is significant in quantum mechanics as it shows the relationship between the two possible spin states of a quantum particle. It also highlights the important concept of superposition, where a quantum state can exist as a combination of multiple states at the same time.