Solving Physics Problems: Mass, Force, Moment of Inertia, Angular Speed

• Thread starter DeBbIeFrIcKeNrAy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about two problems in a high school physics class. The first problem involves a 12 KG mass attached to a cord wrapped around a wheel with a radius of 10cm. The acceleration of the mass down the frictionless incline is measured to be 2.0 m/s2. The questions to be determined are the force in the rope, the moment of inertia of the wheel, and the angular speed of the wheel after 2.0 seconds from rest. The second problem involves a cylindrical 5.00 kg pulley with a radius of 0.6m being used to lower a 3.0 kg bucket into a well. The bucket starts from rest and falls for 4.0
DeBbIeFrIcKeNrAy
I need help with two problems for my homework set in my high school physics class.

A 12 KG mass is attached to a cord that is wrapped around a wheel with a radius of 10.cm, the acceleration of the mass down the frictionless incline is measured to be 2.0 m/s2 Assuming the axle of the wheel is to be frictionless determine

a. the force in the rope
b. the moment of inertia of the wheel.
c. the angular speed of the wheel 2.0 s after it begins rotating, starting from rest.

A cylindrical 5.00 kg pulley with a radious of .6m is used to lower a 3.0 kg bucket into a well. The bucket starts from rest and falls for 4.0 s.

a. what is the linear accerleration of the falling bucket
b. how far does it drop?
c. what is the angular accerleration of the cylindrical pulley?

please i have no clue where to start on these...

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, what you said, haha

For the first problem, we can use the equation F=ma to determine the force in the rope. Since the mass is accelerating at 2.0 m/s^2, the force must be equal to 12 kg x 2.0 m/s^2 = 24 N.

To find the moment of inertia of the wheel, we can use the equation I=mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. In this case, the moment of inertia would be 12 kg x (0.1 m)^2 = 0.12 kgm^2.

To find the angular speed of the wheel after 2.0 seconds, we can use the equation ω=ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular speed (which is 0 since the wheel starts from rest), α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, we know that α = a/r = 2.0 m/s^2 / 0.1 m = 20 rad/s^2. So, ω = 0 + 20 rad/s^2 x 2.0 s = 40 rad/s.

For the second problem, we can use the equation a=g to find the linear acceleration of the falling bucket, since the only force acting on it is gravity. So, a = 9.8 m/s^2.

To find the distance the bucket drops, we can use the equation d=1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, d = 1/2 x 9.8 m/s^2 x (4.0 s)^2 = 78.4 m.

To find the angular acceleration of the cylindrical pulley, we can use the equation α=a/r, where a is the linear acceleration and r is the radius of the pulley. So, α = 9.8 m/s^2 / 0.6 m = 16.3 rad/s^2.

I hope this helps you solve the problems and understand the concepts better. It's always important to start by identifying the given information and the equations that can be used to solve the problem. Then, make sure to use the correct units and plug in the values to get the final answer. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the difference between mass and weight in physics?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is typically measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

2. How do I calculate the force required to move an object with a given mass?

Force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. So, if you know the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing, you can calculate the force required using the equation F = ma.

3. What is moment of inertia and how is it related to an object's shape?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is influenced by both the mass and the distribution of mass in an object, meaning that objects with different shapes will have different moments of inertia.

4. How do I calculate angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates, measured in radians per second. It can be calculated by dividing the angle through which the object rotates by the time it takes to complete the rotation.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use these concepts to solve a physics problem?

Sure! Let's say we have a wheel with a mass of 5 kg and a radius of 0.5 meters. We want to calculate the moment of inertia of the wheel. Using the equation for moment of inertia (I = mr^2), we can plug in the values and find that the moment of inertia is 1.25 kg*m^2. This information can then be used in other equations to solve for things like angular speed or rotational kinetic energy.