Optimizing Weight Distribution for Dog Agility See-Saw Compliance

• B
  • Thread starter Jillity
  • Start date
In summary, the regulation specifies that the see-saw must tip and touch the ground between 2-3 seconds after a kilogram weight is placed in the middle of the down contact area. The see-saw must be securely mounted on a central bracket, and the plank must be at least 3.66 meters long with a height of 610-685mm from the ground to the top of the plank. If the fulcrum is not in the center, the see-saw must be weighted accordingly.
Jillity
TL;DR Summary
A question of weight ing a see-saw came up this morning. Can you help?
This question came up in my dog agility class this morning.
My instructor had bought a new see-saw for the dogs. The Kennel Club regulations say,

'The See-Saw must start to tip and then touch the ground between2–3 seconds after a weight of 1 kilogram has been placed in the middle of the down contact area. The down contact area is 914mm long.
The see-saw plank is firmly mounted on a central bracket. The length of the plank is 3.66m. The height of the central bracket as measured from the ground to the top of the plank is between 610mm and 685mm.'

My instructor had tested the new see-saw with her dog and found she needed to weight the side with the down contact in order to comply with the Kennel Club regulations. When she did this however, the see-saw failed to tip back again when the dog had alighted.

How should the see-saw be weighted so that the see-saw tips back after the dog alights but still complies with the regulations? Would it be necessary to move the fulcrum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jillity,
Interesting problem.
Odd that a manufactured product wouldn't perform without complications out of the box.
I suppose she had to put the thing together after purchase.

After adding the weight, and running the dog through, the see-saw does not return by itself to the next run position. What if you return the see-saw back manually - does the heavier side stay down.

Firstly, I would check if the fulcrum is in the middle, or how far from the middle. Is a couple of inches about right to make one end suitably heavier than the other. Just use a measuring tape to check the lengths.

It could be that the "bearing" is too tight, or something is out of alignment there. You could check that there is no binding and the see-saw moves up and down rather freely. Some adjustment might help.

Jillity said:
The See-Saw must start to tip and then touch the ground between2–3 seconds after a weight of 1 kilogram has been placed in the middle of the down contact area.
How long does the unmodified see-saw take?

I wasn't there when my instructor tested it. She fixed a block of wood under the down contact end of the see-saw so that it would tip in the correct length of time. She said that if the block of wood was moved it threw thew whole thing out which it would do. I balanced the see-saw so that it stayed perfectly balanced for a little while and then it gradually returned to the correct position. This means that the up part of the see-saw must be slightly heavier than the down side even with the block of wood. I shall have to take a tape measure up there next time. Without the block of wood it would return to the correct position. I'm wondering if she's using the correct base for the see-saw. I'll have another look and take some measurements.

1. What is the "Dog agility see-saw problem"?

The "Dog agility see-saw problem" is a common issue faced by dog trainers and handlers in the sport of dog agility. It refers to the difficulty of training a dog to safely and consistently navigate a see-saw obstacle on an agility course.

2. Why is the see-saw obstacle challenging for dogs?

The see-saw obstacle is challenging for dogs because it requires them to use their balance and coordination to walk up and down a narrow plank that is elevated at the center. This can be intimidating for dogs and may cause them to hesitate or even refuse to complete the obstacle.

3. How can I train my dog to successfully complete the see-saw obstacle?

Training a dog to successfully complete the see-saw obstacle requires patience, consistency, and positive reinforcement. Start by introducing your dog to the see-saw in a controlled environment and gradually increase the difficulty as they become more comfortable. Use treats and praise to reward your dog for completing the obstacle correctly.

4. Are there any safety concerns with the see-saw obstacle?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns with the see-saw obstacle. If a dog is not properly trained or is too hesitant, they may get injured by falling off the obstacle or getting their paws caught between the planks. It is important to always supervise your dog and ensure they are comfortable and confident before attempting the see-saw on an agility course.

5. Can certain breeds or sizes of dogs have an advantage or disadvantage on the see-saw obstacle?

Yes, certain breeds or sizes of dogs may have an advantage or disadvantage on the see-saw obstacle. Smaller or lighter dogs may have an easier time navigating the see-saw, while larger or heavier dogs may struggle with balance. However, with proper training and practice, any dog can learn to successfully complete the see-saw obstacle.