Can a dog call 911 and save the day?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, a dog was trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone. When a captain was riding his bicycle through the mountains with both of his beloved dogs leashed to the handle bars, the dogs decided to chase a squirrel. The captain broke his collarbone. Months later, he had the dogs trained better than Lassie. The captain was jogging before dawn with his beloved dogs and unexpectedly found out the bridge on his jogging route was out. Now why would they have put a bridge there if you could simply run right around it? It still being before dawn and pretty dark, the captain ran right off a ledge. One dog broke the captain's fall, sacrificing its life in the process. The fall
Physics news on Phys.org
Russ' Article said:
Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone.

Bah. The mutt totally cheated.

That's nothing.

In the military, I was stuck with Safety for an additional duty and got to read lots of mishap reports.

A captain was riding his bicycle through the mountains with both of his beloved dogs leashed to the handle bars. The dogs decided to chase a squirrel. The captain broke his collarbone. Obviously a training problem.

Months later, he had the dogs trained better than Lassie.

The captain was jogging before dawn with his beloved dogs and unexpectedly found out the bridge on his jogging route was out. Not phased a bit, he just left the road to run around the bridge. Now why would they have put a bridge there if you could simply run right around it? It still being before dawn and pretty dark, the captain ran right off a ledge. One dog broke the captain's fall, sacrificing its life in the process. The fall still left the captain helpless at the bottom of a ravine with a broken back and other injuries, but still concious. The remaining dog ran back up to road and stopped a passing car, sacrificing its life in the process. With the driver outside his car inspecting the dog's carcass, he could hear the desperate pleas for help from the captain down in the ravine.

BobG :cry:

Hate when dogs get hurt. Though I'm the type of person who, when forced, would save my dog over the life of a child ... yes that is horrible and wrong of me but :tongue2:

Tom Mattson said:
Bah. The mutt totally cheated.

For pushing the right button, true. But what about this part of the report, "Faith . . . barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then . . . unlocked the front door for the police officer. "I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan. "The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me something."

The dog knew something was wrong.

That is incredible that a dog can be trained to tell when a person is about to have a seizure.

Then to have the dog remove the phone handset and dial 911, even if it's a single digit is pretty amazing.

My cat called 911 once, by accident. The cat jumped on the phone, knocked the receiver off and walked across the keypad. I heard the 911 operator from the receiver on the floor and tried to tell her the cat called, but she said that they had to respond to every call and a sheriff was on his way. He looked a bit perplexed when I tried to explain it to him.

Evo said:
My cat called 911 once, by accident. The cat jumped on the phone, knocked the receiver off and walked across the keypad. I heard the 911 operator from the receiver on the floor and tried to tell her the cat called, but she said that they had to respond to every call and a sheriff was on his way. He looked a bit perplexed when I tried to explain it to him.

If you relate one more misadventure (I read your Journal, ouch!) I think I am going to have to nominate you for PF's funniest person (sorry Saint). :smile:

Les Sleeth said:
If you relate one more misadventure (I read your Journal, ouch!) I think I am going to have to nominate you for PF's funniest person (sorry Saint). :smile:
Now I am forced to tell you about my other 911 encounter. :biggrin:

This was when I was living in Chicago, I was taking a shower when I suddenly heard a deep voice shouting "police officer, police officer" in my bedroom! I opened my shower door and looked into the barrel of a gun pointed directly at me.

Standing there stark naked and dripping wet, the officer explained that he was responding to a 911 call.

Turns out my then 2 year old daughter's day care class had discussed calling 911 if there was an emergency. My daughter decided to dial it out of curiosity. When the 911 operator answered all she heard was breathing, so they dispatched an officer.

My next door neighbors were an elderly retired couple. When the police pulled up, she was outside and they told her to run for cover (not knowing what the situation was), she injured herself trying to get away. :redface:

Oh, I have so many stories.

1. What is "Dog Dials 911"?

"Dog Dials 911" is a term used to describe a phenomenon where a dog accidentally or intentionally dials the emergency number 911 on a phone, usually a landline. This can happen when a dog steps on a phone's keypad or presses a button with its nose or paw.

2. Can dogs really dial 911?

While it is possible for a dog to accidentally dial 911, it is unlikely that they can intentionally do so. Dogs do not have the cognitive ability to understand the concept of emergency services and dialing a phone number. Accidental dialing can happen due to the buttons on a phone being easily pressed or a dog being trained to press a specific button for treats.

3. Why do dogs dial 911?

Dogs do not intentionally dial 911 for any specific reason. As mentioned before, it is usually accidental and can happen when a dog is playing with a phone or exploring its surroundings. In some cases, dogs may be trained to press a specific button that has been programmed to dial 911 in case of an emergency.

4. Has a dog ever successfully called 911 for help?

There have been reported cases where dogs have accidentally dialed 911, but there is no evidence of a dog successfully calling 911 for help in a real emergency. In most cases, the 911 dispatcher can hear background noise and realize that it is not a real emergency call.

5. Can a dog be trained to dial 911 in case of an emergency?

Yes, it is possible to train a dog to press a specific button or combination of buttons on a phone that has been programmed to dial 911 in case of an emergency. This can be useful for individuals with disabilities or medical conditions who may need assistance. However, it is important to note that this training should only be done by a professional and should not be relied upon as the sole means of emergency communication.