Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dog Dials 911

1. Oct 29, 2004 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bah. The mutt totally cheated.

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's nothing.

In the military, I was stuck with Safety for an additional duty and got to read lots of mishap reports.

A captain was riding his bicycle through the mountains with both of his beloved dogs leashed to the handle bars. The dogs decided to chase a squirrel. The captain broke his collarbone. Obviously a training problem.

Months later, he had the dogs trained better than Lassie.

The captain was jogging before dawn with his beloved dogs and unexpectedly found out the bridge on his jogging route was out. Not phased a bit, he just left the road to run around the bridge. Now why would they have put a bridge there if you could simply run right around it? It still being before dawn and pretty dark, the captain ran right off a ledge. One dog broke the captain's fall, sacrificing its life in the process. The fall still left the captain helpless at the bottom of a ravine with a broken back and other injuries, but still concious. The remaining dog ran back up to road and stopped a passing car, sacrificing its life in the process. With the driver outside his car inspecting the dog's carcass, he could hear the desperate pleas for help from the captain down in the ravine.

5. Oct 29, 2004 #4
    BobG :cry:

Hate when dogs get hurt. Though I'm the type of person who, when forced, would save my dog over the life of a child ... yes that is horrible and wrong of me but :tongue2:

6. Oct 29, 2004 #5

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

For pushing the right button, true. But what about this part of the report, "Faith . . . barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then . . . unlocked the front door for the police officer. "I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan. "The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me something."

The dog knew something was wrong.

7. Oct 29, 2004 #6

Evo

That is incredible that a dog can be trained to tell when a person is about to have a seizure.

Then to have the dog remove the phone handset and dial 911, even if it's a single digit is pretty amazing.

My cat called 911 once, by accident. The cat jumped on the phone, knocked the receiver off and walked across the keypad. I heard the 911 operator from the receiver on the floor and tried to tell her the cat called, but she said that they had to respond to every call and a sheriff was on his way. He looked a bit perplexed when I tried to explain it to him.

8. Oct 29, 2004 #7

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

If you relate one more misadventure (I read your Journal, ouch!) I think I am going to have to nominate you for PF's funniest person (sorry Saint). :smile:

9. Oct 29, 2004 #8

Evo

Now I am forced to tell you about my other 911 encounter. :biggrin:

This was when I was living in Chicago, I was taking a shower when I suddenly heard a deep voice shouting "police officer, police officer" in my bedroom!!!! I opened my shower door and looked into the barrel of a gun pointed directly at me. :surprised

Standing there stark naked and dripping wet, the officer explained that he was responding to a 911 call.

Turns out my then 2 year old daughter's day care class had discussed calling 911 if there was an emergency. My daughter decided to dial it out of curiosity. When the 911 operator answered all she heard was breathing, so they dispatched an officer.

My next door neighbors were an elderly retired couple. When the police pulled up, she was outside and they told her to run for cover (not knowing what the situation was), she injured herself trying to get away. :redface:

Oh, I have so many stories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?