Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dog genome sequence completed

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is very cool!!
    I bet we shall now learn a lot about our own DNA by comparing to the same sequence in dogs. A direct application (as also mentioned) would be for genetic diseases that dogs and humans have in common.

They show how closely related a boxer and a poodle are by saying there is only a single nucleotide change in every 900 bases. But later they say they've catalogued some 2.5 million individual DNA differences between breeds.. For 2.5 million differences to be a small number, I wonder how large is the number of base pairs they have in common??

I remember when they first sequenced the human genome and couldn't figure out what the non-coding sequences were useful for.. In this article they say, much of the non-coding DNA in dogs, is the same as that in humans. That suggests these sequences must serve some function. If dogs and humans share a common ancestor, some of these non-coding sequences would make it through to both animals today. Geneticists should know how many base pair differences ought to be expected since the time the split in our family tree occured, and compare that figure to the number we actually have between the two sequenced genomes.

Here is a comment they made that does not make sense to me:
    "Dogs also have more genes in common with humans than do mice, despite splitting from our common ancestor before mice did." How could that be? Unless we got it wrong and mice actually split off the tree before dogs did. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?