Keeping Your Dog Safe in Cold Weather: Doghouses with Heat Generators

In summary: No, he lives indoors.f. No, she doesn't have a dog house.g. Her walks can go up to 2hrs but that is all.h. No, and that pretty much covers the rest of the questions.1. Do you own a dog? ---------------------------------Yes2. Is your dog ever in cold weather? -------------------Yes3. Does he have a doghouse with a heat generator? ----They live inside4. Is your dog outside for extended periods of time? ----Two or three hour hikes at most (and that would be rare, since it means I'm outside for the same amount of time).YesYesNoNever1.
RiseAgainst
1. Do you own a dog?

2. Is your dog ever in cold weather?

3. Does he have a doghouse with a heat generator?

4. Is your dog outside for extended periods of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes, it's the same as our house though.
4. yes

1. yes
2. no
3. N/A, he lives indoors
4. no

1. yes.
2. yes.
3. No, she (:tongue:) doesn't have a dog house.
4. Her walks can go up to 2hrs but that is all.

I suggest you define what cold is to you however so the answers will be more accurate.

1. No, and that pretty much covers the rest of the questions.

1. No.
2. NA
3. NA
4. NA

Ha ha, Redbelly. I beat you by a millisecond. :tongue:

1. Do you own a dog? ---------------------------------Yes

2. Is your dog ever in cold weather? -------------------Yes

3. Does he have a doghouse with a heat generator? ----They live inside

4. Is your dog outside for extended periods of time? ----Two or three hour hikes at most (and that would be rare, since it means I'm outside for the same amount of time).

Yes
Yes
No
Never

RiseAgainst said:
1. Do you own a dog?

2. Is your dog ever in cold weather?

3. Does he have a doghouse with a heat generator?

4. Is your dog outside for extended periods of time?
1. Thinking about it.
2. Duh! Maine is cold in winter.
3. No doghouse - (s)he'd have a comfy log cabin with a wood stove (our house). Pretty easy for a critter to choose a comfort zone.
4. No longer than me or my wife would be. That could be tougher on a thin-coated dog like a pit-bull, but we're not leaning that way, though some of the sweetest, clingiest dogs I have known have been pit-bulls or mixes involving that breed. They are intelligent and attentive dogs and they can wear you out at play-time. Baseball pitchers should all own pit-bulls or mixes to keep training in the off-season. They can retrieve one more toy than you can throw EVERY day.

Danger said:
Ha ha, Redbelly. I beat you by a millisecond. :tongue:

Only because I bothered to complete the survey! :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
Only because I bothered to complete the survey! :biggrin:

That would be a good comeback if not for the fact that Danger typed 61 characters in his post (including spaces) and you only typed 21 characters (including spaces and carriage returns).

BobG said:
That would be a good comeback if not for the fact that Danger typed 61 characters in his post (including spaces) and you only typed 21 characters (including spaces and carriage returns).
New username = AnalBobG. :devil::rofl::rofl:

turbo-1 said:
New username = AnalBobG. :devil::rofl::rofl:

I was about to say, "You mean I was right?"

Except Redbelly's is obviously 25 just from taking even a few seconds to look at it.

But Danger's is at least twice as long as Redbelly's.

BobG said:
But Danger's is at least twice as long as Redbelly's.

Now yer gettin' personal! :blushing:

Redbelly98 said:
Now yer gettin' personal! :blushing:

The only fair way to resolve this is to do a wife-swap and then poll them. :biggrin:

And that wasn't a typo... I didn't mean pole them... again... :uhh:

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. no

a. Yes
b. Yes
c. NO
d. Yes

1. How do I know if my dog needs a heated doghouse?

It is important to monitor your dog's behavior and body language when they are outside in cold weather. Signs that your dog may need a heated doghouse include shivering, reluctance to go outside, or excessive whining or barking. If your dog is a breed that is not well-suited to cold weather, such as a short-haired breed or a small breed, they may also benefit from a heated doghouse.

2. Are heated doghouses safe for dogs?

When used correctly, heated doghouses are generally safe for dogs. It is important to choose a high-quality doghouse with a reliable heating source and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use. It is also important to regularly check the doghouse for any damage or malfunctions, and to provide proper ventilation to prevent overheating.

3. How do I choose the right size doghouse for my dog?

The size of the doghouse should correspond to the size of your dog. It should be large enough for them to comfortably stand up, turn around, and lie down. It is also important to consider your dog's weight, as heavier dogs may require a larger doghouse even if they are not particularly tall or long. Always check the size specifications provided by the manufacturer to ensure the doghouse is a good fit for your dog.

4. Can I leave my dog in a heated doghouse unsupervised?

No, it is not recommended to leave your dog in a heated doghouse unsupervised. While the heat generator may provide warmth, it is still important to monitor your dog's behavior and to regularly check the doghouse for any issues. In extreme weather conditions, it is best to bring your dog inside to ensure their safety and well-being.

5. How do I maintain a heated doghouse?

To maintain a heated doghouse, it is important to regularly clean and inspect the doghouse for any damage or malfunctions. The heating source should also be checked and replaced if necessary. In addition, make sure the doghouse is properly ventilated to prevent overheating. It is also important to regularly replace the bedding or insulation inside the doghouse to keep it clean and comfortable for your dog.