Build a Smart Doggie Door to Keep Raccoons Out - Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter craigwein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the desire to build a doogie door that can detect when a dog is near and unlock the door for them, while also preventing raccoons from entering. The idea of using an induction loop sensor is suggested, but the person is unsure of how to build one. Suggestions are made for using an RF tag on the dog's leash or considering a commercially available automatic pet door. Two examples of these doors are provided as links.
craigwein
I wanted to build my own doogie door that would be able to recognize when my dog was near by and could unlock the door, and then lock it again when the dog has successfully gone through. I have a problem with raccoons in the neighborhood, and I don't want sneaking into a traditional door. A friend of mine suggested using an "induction loop sensor, like they use for traffic lights", but I have no idea how to build or make such a thing. Any thoughts or general directions would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are several commercially available automatic pet doors.

How about a mechanism that recognizes an RF tag on his leash?

What is a "Doggie Door, No Racoons"?

A "Doggie Door, No Racoons" is a type of pet door designed to allow dogs to enter and exit the house, while preventing raccoons or other unwanted animals from entering.

How does a "Doggie Door, No Racoons" work?

A "Doggie Door, No Racoons" uses a special locking mechanism or barrier that only allows access to animals with a specific weight or size, typically only dogs. This prevents raccoons, which are typically larger and heavier, from entering through the pet door.

What are the benefits of using a "Doggie Door, No Racoons"?

The main benefit of using a "Doggie Door, No Racoons" is that it allows your dog to have easy access to the outdoors without having to constantly open and close the door for them. It also helps to keep unwanted animals, such as raccoons, out of your home and potentially causing damage or spreading diseases.

Can raccoons still get through a "Doggie Door, No Racoons"?

While a "Doggie Door, No Racoons" is designed to prevent raccoons from entering, it is not 100% foolproof. If a raccoon is small enough to fit through the pet door or if they are able to figure out the locking mechanism, they may still be able to enter your home. However, these types of pet doors significantly reduce the likelihood of raccoon intrusions compared to traditional pet doors.

Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using a "Doggie Door, No Racoons"?

As with any pet door, there are a few potential risks to consider. If the locking mechanism malfunctions, it could potentially allow raccoons or other animals to enter your home. Additionally, if your dog is able to bring in dirt or debris from outside, it could create a mess in your home. It is important to regularly clean and maintain your "Doggie Door, No Racoons" to prevent these issues.