Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a PhD in Theoretical Physics after BE

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Dear Forum Members,

I am new to this forum and seek some guidance from you.

1. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from one of the top Tier Engineering Colleges of India - as part of my degree I did 4 semesters of Physics and 6 semesters of Mathematics

2. I have been working in the Corporate environment for the last 15 years since graduation (no exposure to Physics/Mathematics apart from occasional self study

3. I would like to pursue a PhD in Theoretical Physics (specialization not yet clear) preferably from Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (http://www.saha.ac.in/cs/www/ [Broken]) mainly due to reasons of proximity since I want to pursue the PhD in parallel with my professional career

I am sure I have raised a lot of eyebrows with the expression of my intent. But would still like to ask for your guidance/inputs - some of the specific questions would be

1. I have conflicting information on my eligibility to be considered for a straight PhD following a BE degree - one school of opinion tells me I must do a full time Masters / other says I would be eligible for a straight PhD provided I enroll myself through an university which offers a Masters degree. What is the truth (since I may not be able to go for a full time Masters)?

2. While I have some idea of the daunting scale of the task (provided I am eligible - refer question 1) how much actual classroom sessions will I have to plan for (Since I presume lot of Mathematical / Theoretical foundations would need me to attend some classes)

3. The mother of all questions - is this at all feasible (keeping mainly in mind the academic possibilites/restrictions in India/Kolkata - I am setting aside the questions of my ability for the time being)

Thanks in advance for all the valuable suggestions I am anticipating

Warm Regards
    Arindam

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted