1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a PhD in Theoretical Physics after BE

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Dear Forum Members,

I am new to this forum and seek some guidance from you.

1. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from one of the top Tier Engineering Colleges of India - as part of my degree I did 4 semesters of Physics and 6 semesters of Mathematics

2. I have been working in the Corporate environment for the last 15 years since graduation (no exposure to Physics/Mathematics apart from occasional self study

3. I would like to pursue a PhD in Theoretical Physics (specialization not yet clear) preferably from Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (http://www.saha.ac.in/cs/www/ [Broken]) mainly due to reasons of proximity since I want to pursue the PhD in parallel with my professional career

I am sure I have raised a lot of eyebrows with the expression of my intent. But would still like to ask for your guidance/inputs - some of the specific questions would be

1. I have conflicting information on my eligibility to be considered for a straight PhD following a BE degree - one school of opinion tells me I must do a full time Masters / other says I would be eligible for a straight PhD provided I enroll myself through an university which offers a Masters degree. What is the truth (since I may not be able to go for a full time Masters)?

2. While I have some idea of the daunting scale of the task (provided I am eligible - refer question 1) how much actual classroom sessions will I have to plan for (Since I presume lot of Mathematical / Theoretical foundations would need me to attend some classes)

3. The mother of all questions - is this at all feasible (keeping mainly in mind the academic possibilites/restrictions in India/Kolkata - I am setting aside the questions of my ability for the time being)

Thanks in advance for all the valuable suggestions I am anticipating

Warm Regards
    Arindam

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted