Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing math while drunk

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    Anyone tried it? How did you do?

And this thread is only a half joke: Light intoxication increases creativity and makes the consumer relaxed. It might work? Maybe?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

You're describing my entire undergraduate career.

On a serious note, only time I recall doing so is after having a dinner party at my house. I was reviewing my planner and noticed that I overlooked a homework problem. That was the hardest integral ever.

4. May 10, 2013 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once had a friend from another university visit and we got kinda toasted. I had forgotten about a physics lab. Before starting the experiment, I went to the restroom for some beer relief and dropped my slide-rule in the toilet.

5. May 10, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Alcohol and math don't mix. Don't drink and derive.

6. May 10, 2013 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've done it. The results are always...interesting.

7. May 10, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

##F = mv## says the drunk man

8. May 10, 2013 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was a bit toasted the other day while doing some physics related math stuff.
    The solution I ended up with had me agreeing with Russ Waters.

I may have to quit drinking.

9. May 10, 2013 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did it work after the dunking?

Careful your age is showing!

10. May 10, 2013 #9
    I don't drink anymore, but when I was in high school (and too young to drink, don't do this kids) I used to do algebra drunk, and it was always easier for me. But I think it's because of my ADD, and it sort of quieted something down a bit and helped me concentrate.

Now I do yoga and meditation and other wholesome crap like that.

-Dave K

11. May 10, 2013 #10
    Bad ar good it will make you dependent and you may feel unable to solve hard problems without drinking.

I don't drink though so this statement lacks of experimental (personal experience) comprovation.

12. May 10, 2013 #11
    this is disappointing. How about drugs? :-p I heard at medicine school they all take ritalin or something before doing major studying sessions.

13. May 10, 2013 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One beer absolutely destroyed my accuracy. It gave false confidence and I blew right past silly algebra mistakes. Next day i'd look at it and get really PO'd about the time wasted.

Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.

14. May 10, 2013 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... and thus invented floating point arithmetic.

The Quarrymen?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  15. May 10, 2013 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Geez..my grandpa had one of those. He was born in..1896.

16. May 10, 2013 #15
    I can't even add two numbers together when I'm drunk. However, sometimes the songs I write are better than the ones I write sober. I think alcohol specifically targets the left brain for shutdown, while perhaps mildy "liberating" the right brain, at least in small doses.:tongue:

17. May 10, 2013 #16
    Funny, when I'm drunk and bored at a party I start going over math stuff I struggle with. Works like a charm for me.

I seriously need to get half-drunk and do math, some day after the exam period.

18. May 10, 2013 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin:

19. May 10, 2013 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still have it/them.

[Broken]

It, the small one, worked fine but operators input was in question. Physics I Lab, trajectory, using springs with large constants to launch steel ball bearing projectiles (~1 inch diam.) off the lab bench. I think I hit the target once. Or was that my lab partner? :confused:

Yep. That why I bought the large one. It was like going from 8 bit to 32 bit arithmetic. :!!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  20. May 10, 2013 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ever hear the saying, "I'm your daddy"?

21. May 11, 2013 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The large one looks a lot like the German one I have after my granddad (He studied engineering in post WWI Germany)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook