Doing math while drunk

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
Anyone tried it? How did you do?

And this thread is only a half joke: Light intoxication increases creativity and makes the consumer relaxed. It might work? Maybe?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

MarneMath
Education Advisor
You're describing my entire undergraduate career.

On a serious note, only time I recall doing so is after having a dinner party at my house. I was reviewing my planner and noticed that I overlooked a homework problem. That was the hardest integral ever.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once had a friend from another university visit and we got kinda toasted. I had forgotten about a physics lab. Before starting the experiment, I went to the restroom for some beer relief and dropped my slide-rule in the toilet.

Borek
Mentor
Alcohol and math don't mix. Don't drink and derive.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've done it. The results are always...interesting.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
I've done it. The results are always...interesting.
##F = mv## says the drunk man

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Anyone tried it? How did you do?

And this thread is only a half joke: Light intoxication increases creativity and makes the consumer relaxed. It might work? Maybe?
I was a bit toasted the other day while doing some physics related math stuff.
The solution I ended up with had me agreeing with Russ Waters.

I may have to quit drinking.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once had a friend from another university visit and we got kinda toasted. I had forgotten about a physics lab. Before starting the experiment, I went to the restroom for some beer relief and dropped my slide-rule in the toilet.
Did it work after the dunking?

Careful your age is showing!

I don't drink anymore, but when I was in high school (and too young to drink, don't do this kids) I used to do algebra drunk, and it was always easier for me. But I think it's because of my ADD, and it sort of quieted something down a bit and helped me concentrate.

Now I do yoga and meditation and other wholesome crap like that.

-Dave K

Bad ar good it will make you dependent and you may feel unable to solve hard problems without drinking.

I don't drink though so this statement lacks of experimental (personal experience) comprovation.

this is disappointing. How about drugs? :-p I heard at medicine school they all take ritalin or something before doing major studying sessions.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
One beer absolutely destroyed my accuracy. It gave false confidence and I blew right past silly algebra mistakes. Next day i'd look at it and get really PO'd about the time wasted.

Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... and thus invented floating point arithmetic.

Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.
The Quarrymen?

Last edited:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Geez..my grandpa had one of those. He was born in..1896.

I can't even add two numbers together when I'm drunk. However, sometimes the songs I write are better than the ones I write sober. I think alcohol specifically targets the left brain for shutdown, while perhaps mildy "liberating" the right brain, at least in small doses.:tongue:

Funny, when I'm drunk and bored at a party I start going over math stuff I struggle with. Works like a charm for me.

I seriously need to get half-drunk and do math, some day after the exam period.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Alcohol and math don't mix. Don't drink and derive.
:biggrin:

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did it work after the dunking?

I still have it/them.

[Broken]

It, the small one, worked fine but operators input was in question. Physics I Lab, trajectory, using springs with large constants to launch steel ball bearing projectiles (~1 inch diam.) off the lab bench. I think I hit the target once. Or was that my lab partner? :confused:

... and thus invented floating point arithmetic.
Yep. That why I bought the large one. It was like going from 8 bit to 32 bit arithmetic. :!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Geez..my grandpa had one of those. He was born in..1896.
Ever hear the saying, "I'm your daddy"?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The large one looks a lot like the German one I have after my granddad (He studied engineering in post WWI Germany)

I've never done this, but I presume it is similar to doing math while under sleep deprivation. This I have done and it is not fun, I get snagged on things that would otherwise come quickly to me by double and triple checking, and even mental arithmetic feels pretty hard.

I had a lecturer who encouraged students to go out more and have other distractions outside of academics. He once said we should get home drunk and sit down to do that last hard homework problem we weren't able to figure out. If we were drunk enough, we might be able to come up with the solution, he claimed.

Likes 1 person
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The first time my professor walked in and started talking canonical coordinates, for a moment I thought that he meant to say conical coordinates, but had been drinking.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Wow, dlg - are those really K&E Decilons?

The pocket one is quite rare.

You 'da man!

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, dlg - are those really K&E Decilons?
The 5 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model 4181-1 © 1947.

But the 10 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model Decilon 68 1100 © 1947, 1961.

The pocket one is quite rare.

You 'da man!
I would sell it to you if it weren't for this. :devil:

Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted in any forum.