Doing math while drunk

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
I would sell it to you if it weren't for this. :devil:

Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted in any forum.
You could "donate" it to me:biggrin:

Btw, does it have hyperbolic capabilities? Or did those come out later? I mean not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything...

reenmachine
Gold Member
Doing math while drinking is always short-lived.You can do good math within your 1st and 2nd beer , you can keep up the pace at your 3rd but your skills are severely reduced once you hit your 4th or 5th beer.Unless you are very tolerant to alcohol.

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could "donate" it to me:biggrin:

Btw, does it have hyperbolic capabilities? Or did those come out later? I mean not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything...
No Sh or Th scales but I'm not donating. However I'll give you this link to Slide Rules with Hyperbolic Function Scales which has a nice interactive Java script graphically showing the six hyperbolic functions. :biggrin:

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
The 5 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model 4181-1 © 1947.

But the 10 inch one is a Keuffel and Esser Model Decilon 68 1100 © 1947, 1961.
I do have one of each in my collection, and a 20" 4081. Still looking for a 5" Decilon..

I keep a cheap Sterling in the car for gas mileage. It never needs batteries.

Son works as mechanical engineer at a military base so for Christmas I gave him a cubicle curio - a 10" Pickett in a shadow box,,
with placard "Break Glass in case of EMP Attack".

old jim

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Son works as mechanical engineer at a military base so for Christmas I gave him a cubicle curio - a 10" Pickett in a shadow box,,
with placard "Break Glass in case of EMP Attack".

old jim
Outstanding. Now you got me thinking of a shadow box. :approve:

Borek
Mentor
shirley121
it would be somewhat funny at that moment because you mind could not process the questions.

I still have it/them.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9627/14017584.jpg [Broken]

It, the small one, worked fine but operators input was in question. Physics I Lab, trajectory, using springs with large constants to launch steel ball bearing projectiles (~1 inch diam.) off the lab bench. I think I hit the target once. Or was that my lab partner? :confused:

Yep. That why I bought the large one. It was like going from 8 bit to 32 bit arithmetic. :!!)
The old ways are the best ways:

http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/5/5F/A3613644-6190-48A6-85B01FB71EA3D4DA.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 or 5 slide rules (including one that she inherited from her father) and two abaci (old school plural of abacus). I'm not sure, but I think that one of the ones I have I used in my physics classes, back well before the general availability of pocket calculators along about the mid-70s.

As a side note, the abacus is a sort of advanced version of a gizmo the ancients used to use, a piece of wood that had grooves scooped out for the 1's, 10's, etc. columns. They used small stones as counters, similar to the beads on an abacus. In Latin, a small stone was a calculus.

So now ya know why it is that what a dentist removes from your teeth has the same name as the mathematical study of things that change in time.

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Alcohol and math don't mix. Don't drink and derive.
Since we're reviving a dead topic anyway, let me just say that I laughed out loud at that one.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I do have one of each in my collection, and a 20" 4081. Still looking for a 5" Decilon..
20 inch! Pfft

I have an Otis King with a 10 foot scale!

oking1.jpg

You can make the scales a lot longer if you wrap them around a cylinder. Close it up and it fits in your pocket.

I think some actress or another once said, "Is that an Otis King slide rule in your pocket or you happy to see me?"

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Bahhhhhh...... Math, Shmmmmmmm....ath.

Try makin' a mooofee, of this qualiddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrtQ9AdoM0​

Being drunk while doing math or running a space ship may not work, but it worked for the Kingsmen in 1963 when they recorded this hit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Being drunk while doing math or running a space ship may not work, but it worked for the Kingsmen in 1963 when they recorded this hit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U
Had you posted this an hour ago, I'd have posted a live picture of the venue where this was recorded.

But, it's Friday, and I'm drunk, and I'm sure all the stories of "They recorded that song up there!", are make believe.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/09/louie_louie_finds_another_plac.html

----------------------
[edit] hmmmm..... It's true.
I always find it weird that people from across the country will mention something that is only a block away from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Bahhhhhh...... Math, Shmmmmmmm....ath.

Try makin' a mooofee, of this qualiddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrtQ9AdoM0​
I believe you should be drunk while watching this vid to appreciate it.

Luckily for me, I am not.

I find that while many drugs inhibit computational abilities, they can be useful for forcing someone to look at a problem in different ways. There has to be a balance where they have some effect, but don't make the user a complete idiot at the same time.

One could try hemp too. I had a math friend who said cannabis increased his memory ?

One could try hemp too. I had a math friend who said cannabis increased his memory ?
In all likelihood this is false, though you're sure to find exceptions. The short term and long term negative effects of cannabis on the memory have been well researched.

i heard once, but maybe this is more for physicists, that having sex makes you in better harmony with nature (hence a good way to discover laws of nature :-) ?! Moore seems to mean that a woman 'helped' Schrodinger to discover the wave equation, as a mistress maybe the waves a couple make during love in a super position) however i couldnt find out if they were drunk on this ski holiday.

Last edited:
I am converting my salaries into units of beer coupled with petrol bills + taxi cost to get through one night.

I am converting my salaries into units of beer coupled with petrol bills + taxi cost to get through one night.
:biggrin: English people have beautiful pronunciation. I once was interviewed by a CEO from England, he asked me something I couldn't figure out, so I asked him to repeat and while he was explaining, I only paid attention to his lip movements (He is quite a guy but married) :biggrin: He is quite a "sanitary" person i.e driving a white car, wearing white trousers, drinking a white cup...

Last edited:
Im not anymore allowed to drink alcohol by the medical staff because i take risperdal but doing math under that drug is not easy neither, moreover surrounded with people with mental disease...

Yes, some of us remember that Paul McCArtney was in a group before 'Wings'.
Some of us are so young we don't even know who wings are lol.

:biggrin: English people have beautiful pronunciation. I once was interviewed by a CEO from England, he asked me something I couldn't figure out, so I asked him to repeat and while he was explaining, I only paid attention to his lip movements (He is quite a guy but married) :biggrin: He is quite a "sanitary" person i.e driving a white car, wearing white trousers, drinking a white cup...
Sure you weren't being interviewed by God?:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sure you weren't being interviewed by God?:tongue:
Does He speak English, then?

if so he has no excuse for not answering our prayers :)