What college courses should I take to become a theoretical physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to become a theoretical physicist and the challenges of finding employment in this field. The advice given is to pursue a degree in physics and work on research in one's free time. It is also suggested to obtain a low-stress job to support oneself while pursuing physics. The importance of having a formal education in physics is emphasized, as well as the need to adapt to the constantly evolving field. Specific advice is given to finish high school and pursue a bachelor's degree in physics or try for admission into a prestigious institute.
Adithya Viswa
Hey guys.
i am presently a 10th grade student and i want to become a theoretical physicist , but lately i have come to know that they a hardly any companies that hire theoretical physicist.In physics research organisation 90% of the job vacancies are for engineer , technician . So i have decided to do my research in my free time .
But can anyone tell the course take in my college to become a physicist ( i am interested in knowing more about this universe , matter , mass, light , electromagnetism...) so that i can enough money a find some time to do my research or if you know any organisation that to fundamental research in physics and hire a lot of theoretical physicist , please tell me these organisations name.
my main aim is top provide something to the world of physics that would change the way we look at the universe.
In which area of physics should i do my PhD in so that i can be a theoretical physicist ( and even work as one).

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably start with a bachelor's degree in physics. If that wasn't completely obvious, perhaps you should rethink your plan or temper your expectations.

Screw the "companies", if you want to do anything you'll have to do it on your own. Einstein did that, as well as everyone else.

Get some random low-stress job to pay the bills and work on your physics in your own time.

Curl said:
Screw the "companies", if you want to do anything you'll have to do it on your own. Einstein did that, as well as everyone else.

Get some random low-stress job to pay the bills and work on your physics in your own time.
Einstein had a degree and the formal training in physics necessary to make advances to the field. Start with a physics degree. Best advice.

Curl said:

Your advice is one century too late. The physics of today isn't the same as the physics of yesterday. Things move fast.

hey bro, i can understand what u mean to say. even i want to do the same. i wud advice u to finish ur 12th in science and take french instead of bio in voctional
(u probably liv in india?) finish twelth, either do bsc physics or try for iit-b
once in that u will hav many options

1. What is the purpose of doing research in physics?

The purpose of doing research in physics is to increase our understanding of the natural world and the fundamental laws that govern it. This knowledge can then be applied to develop new technologies and solve real-world problems.

2. How do you come up with a research topic in physics?

Research topics in physics are usually inspired by current scientific theories, observations, and gaps in existing knowledge. Scientists also collaborate with colleagues and attend conferences to discuss potential research ideas.

3. What are the steps involved in conducting research in physics?

The steps involved in conducting research in physics typically include identifying a research question, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. The process may also involve writing and publishing scientific papers to share the findings with the scientific community.

4. What are some common challenges in conducting research in physics?

Some common challenges in conducting research in physics include securing funding, designing experiments that can accurately test the hypothesis, and dealing with unexpected results. The fast-paced nature of scientific research can also be a challenge, as new discoveries and technologies constantly change the landscape of the field.

5. How can the general public benefit from research in physics?

Research in physics has led to many technological advancements that have greatly improved our daily lives. From the development of electricity, to the creation of new materials and medical treatments, to the exploration of space, the benefits of physics research are far-reaching and impact our society in numerous ways.