Struggling to Find a Research Position During Post-Bacc Year?

• Physics
  • Thread starter Mercy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses options for staying occupied during a gap year between undergrad and grad school, with a focus on finding research opportunities rather than working at Starbucks. The speaker mentions working as a research assistant and suggests reaching out to former professors for potential part-time work. They also mention the challenges of finding short-term research positions and suggest considering unpaid internships for potential experience and recommendation letters.
Mercy
Hi all, I was hoping some of you had experience with this,

I'm taking a gap year between undergrad and grad and was hoping to keep myself occupied during the Fall and Spring seasons, although I'm looking to keep doing research rather than working for starbucks. What options are there?

I've heard of working as an RA, but is the best way to approach this just cold-emailing departments? Or are there other avenues for finding a position? Thanks for any and all replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mercy said:
Hi all, I was hoping some of you had experience with this,

I'm taking a gap year between undergrad and grad and was hoping to keep myself occupied during the Fall and Spring seasons, although I'm looking to keep doing research rather than working for starbucks. What options are there?

I've heard of working as an RA, but is the best way to approach this just cold-emailing departments? Or are there other avenues for finding a position? Thanks for any and all replies!

I worked as a research assistant for my research group post graduation until I found my first job, it was on the project I'd worked on during my undergrad research experience and most involved programming and data analysis. Colleagues of mine worked as research assistants and full time during gap years and were given the option to do part time work while in school (this was in a research oriented company). You might try cold calling departments but letting any former professors of your know that you're looking for part time work and seeing if they have money to spare for a post-bacc doing something like data analysis or instrumentation or something to that effect.

Likes Mercy
It's kinda a tight market now for short term gigs unless your productivity in an existing group is already established. You're asking a research group to invest time, effort, and money in your training with an uncertain return since it seems like you are likely to only be there a short time. Your resume and cover letter need to communicate that you will be able to jump right in and be highly productive quickly - plus you'll need a bit of luck finding the right circumstance - for example a program that just lost someone unexpectedly and is in a labor squeeze.

Depending on your real needs (experience and recommendation letters rather than cash), you may increase your odds soliciting an unpaid internship rather than a paid position. Still dicey for the principal investigator who takes you in, but you are more likely to find a PI with an unfunded side project he would put you on rather than a PI with the needed cash laying around.

Likes Mercy

1. What is post-baccalaureate research?

Post-baccalaureate research is research conducted after completing a bachelor's degree. It is typically done by students who want to gain additional research experience before pursuing further education or a career in a specific field.

2. How do I find post-baccalaureate research opportunities?

There are several ways to find post-baccalaureate research opportunities. You can reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest, search for research programs or internships at universities or research institutions, or network with professionals in your desired field.

3. What are the benefits of doing post-baccalaureate research?

Post-baccalaureate research provides several benefits, including gaining hands-on research experience, developing important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving, strengthening your resume for further education or job applications, and expanding your professional network.

4. Can I get paid for doing post-baccalaureate research?

It is possible to get paid for post-baccalaureate research, but it depends on the specific program or opportunity. Some research positions may offer a stipend or salary, while others may be unpaid. It's important to research and inquire about compensation before accepting a post-baccalaureate research opportunity.

5. How can I make the most out of my post-baccalaureate research experience?

To make the most out of your post-baccalaureate research experience, it's important to actively engage in the research project, ask questions, and seek guidance from mentors. Additionally, attending conferences and networking events in your field can help you learn more about the research process and make valuable connections.