1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing science without a PhD

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    A lot of jobs that I see where you do actual interesting science seem to require having a PhD. Are there reasonable possibilities for doing that with having "only" a Master's in physics? I know that I could increase my employability if I got a PhD, but I'm not looking at getting one at the moment partly for financial reasons, as well as due to having to pick one area to focus on out of the several which are interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You mean lead your own research effort? Not very likely. You mean work as a lab tech or other position where your effort is directed? Sure - that's possible. For example, most of Fermilab's accelerator operators have a BS or MS.

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Anything is possible. However, you are not living in a vacuum. If there is a job opening that requires an expertise in something, how well do you compete when other applicants have PhDs in that area and publications on that topic? How well do you compete with these candidates who have attended conferences, and who have presented their work to their peers, something that is almost a requirement for anyone working in science?

It isn't JUST a question if you can do the job. It is also a question on why you would be the BEST person to do the job out of all other potential applicants! That is something you have to consider.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook