1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing ThesisEngineeringIndustry

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1
    Hi. I'm about to go into my fourth year mechanical engineering.. with the option of doing a thesis project.. i'm just wondering if anyone in engineering here who is in industry could tell me if its any beneficial at all to have done a thesis when i go out to work after graduation? Because on my mind, all I know is that a thesis is good only if im going to do research/grad school.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2007 #2
    If you don't have to do some sort of senior project then I think you might consider a thesis. It shows that you can identify a problem, do research, and work towards a solution. Plus, the writing would probably be beneficial too. When is the last time, besides lab reports, that you did writing?

If you do have a senior project course/requirement, then I would just do that. Just one persons opinion
  4. Mar 2, 2007 #3
    i'm a graduate mechanical engineer, with good experience in industry,.. go for a thesis or a senior project..u'll learn to be on your own and write good reports..believe me hard but memorable and usefull experience.
  5. Mar 2, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

You need to show some sort of "non-classroom" type of experience that a research project or senior project provides. That is always a bullet point on an engineer's resume in my parts.

If you don't have a project in your senior year and you can work in hands on work with your thesis, then the thesis is a good way to go.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?