Doing without it

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
Lisa!
Gold Member
dextercioby said:
Guys,how can one live without a refrigerator...? How do you suggest to keep the food cold without electric energy...?

Daniel.
you could be a vegetarian and even produce what you need in a garden.

Last edited:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
You can wring the necks of your own hens.

Evo
Mentor
My grandmother lived in what was once a hunting lodge for King Louis in the Jura mountains in France (not sure which one, there was a huge plaque imbedded in the wall stating it was his property). It was very rustic, she had electricity for lights, but used bottled gas or wood to cook. There was an outhouse. The barn doors were the mouth of a cat, you couldn't tell unless you walked downhill then looked up and the barn was the cat's face. I loved that place.

Part of the house was bricked off and my sister and I used to pretend that someone had been walled up alive in that section. :surprised

wolram
Gold Member
Evo said:
My grandmother lived in what was once a hunting lodge for King Louis in the Jura mountains in France (not sure which one, there was a huge plaque imbedded in the wall stating it was his property). It was very rustic, she had electricity for lights, but used bottled gas or wood to cook. There was an outhouse. The barn doors were the mouth of a cat, you couldn't tell unless you walked downhill then looked up and the barn was the cat's face. I loved that place.

Part of the house was bricked off and my sister and I used to pretend that someone had been walled up alive in that section. :surprised
That sounds ideal, i bet you and your sister got up to no good.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:
ELECTRICITY, Ok if you do not have carpets, you will not need a vacuum
cleaner, If all your heating is done by solid fuel, you will not need electric
boilers, if the same solid fuel heated a cooking range, you do not need
electric kettles etc, etc, so i think it would be great if it was banned for
home use, the only exception is a small generator for pc.
Sounds like camping! How about we just swap my electric stove for a gas stove and I keep all the other electrical things. I wouldn't be too happy right now without a fan or air conditioner running, especially if I also didn't have a cold refrigerator full of cold beverages. Candle light is nice, but really tough to read by at night. Oh, and don't forget there's electricity required for that phone line so your generator-powered PC can connect to the internet so we can be charmed by your presence. :biggrin:

wolram
Gold Member
Lisa! said:
you could be a vegetarian and even produce what you need in a darden.
Good point Lisa

wolram
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Sounds like camping! How about we just swap my electric stove for a gas stove and I keep all the other electrical things. I wouldn't be too happy right now without a fan or air conditioner running, especially if I also didn't have a cold refrigerator full of cold beverages. Candle light is nice, but really tough to read by at night. Oh, and don't forget there's electricity required for that phone line so your generator-powered PC can connect to the internet so we can be charmed by your presence. :biggrin:
Flattery will get you 10Kwh, then thats it, i will think of something for the PC.
and i have invented the bookworms candle light reading glasses just for you. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When Direct TV comes up with a rubber band powered system, let me know. Until then the power stays on. :biggrin:

Besides, if we lose power, we lose water.

Lisa!
Gold Member
ok I think there are lots of advantages in wolram's suggestion:
1.you should do your chores like washing clothes,dishes,... by your hands,so
a)you don't need to join a gym because you'll stay in shape
b)you have no extra time to spend through web,so you don't need PC anymore
c)you'd be too tired that you'll go to bed early at night,so you don't need lamps...(otherwise you can use candles)
2.if you feel cold you can put on lots of clothes and because you're in shape you don't feel the weather is hot.and I think because wolram's suggesstion decrease air poloution, we'll get rid of global warming anyway.
3.all people have to be vegetarian,so we can save animals' lives and more important than that people won't tend to use violence against each other.and there would be no war because of energy sources,so we get the world peace! o:)

arildno said:
You can wring the necks of your own hens.
:rofl: :rofl:

wolram
Gold Member
I have appointed Lisa as my spokes person, OFER, organization for
electrical reduction, is now open for membership, please sign up below.
Lisa is £200K plus expenses ok?

Lisa!
Gold Member
wolram said:
OFER, organization for
electrical reduction,
E stands for energy not electrical!

wolram said:
please sign up below.
Lisa is £200K plus expenses ok?
:eek: That's funny!I think the only people who may join OFER,are stingy people!and you're asking them to pay for it!

wolram
Gold Member
Ok, totally ignoring her upstairs, wont mention any names tracherous (L).
The reduction of ELECTRICITY, (L), is the only practical way forward,
inventions of non electrical appliances is therefore a matter of urgency.

Please, give brief description below. Thankyou and membership to OFER
is FREE (L).

Lisa!
Gold Member
That's a shame.we even didn't get 1 member.ok my suggesstions:

1.change the name of the thread to OFER
2.we need some advertising:
well,we can start it by your signature and avatar.so we need an eyecatching slogan which you use as your signature.you should link this thread to your signature.perhaps it should be "Join OFER"!and your slogan "OFER will make the world a wonderful place!"(please think about it yourself because I'm too tired and I have a terrible headache!"and your avatar should be simply "OFER"!
3.not only you should make it free but also you should give members some advantages!(I think about it as soon as I felt better!)

wolram said:
Ok, totally ignoring her upstairs, wont mention any names tracherous (L).
The reduction of ELECTRICITY, (L), is the only practical way forward,
inventions of non electrical appliances is therefore a matter of urgency.

Please, give brief description below. Thankyou and membership to OFER
is FREE (L).
I meant your organazation should be for energy reduction!(could you please do sth about F in ofer!F makes it ugly! :grumpy: )

wolram
Gold Member
I hope that headache gets better soon Lisa.

The Amish live without electricity, I don't think I'd be able to cope though!

I'm so bumbed that a thread titled 'Doing without it' turned out to be about electricity

Lisa!
Gold Member
Nylex,humans have abilities to do everything.It's not good that our lives would be depend on things out of our existence.I'm too tired to discuss right now.join OFER now and be sure you won't miss anything.

wolram said:
I hope that headache gets better soon Lisa.
Thanks and I hope you think about what I said.be sure I'm not saying nonsenses because of my headache.

wolram
Gold Member
Smurf said:
I'm so bumbed that a thread titled 'Doing without it' turned out to be about electricity
Were you thinking of joining a monestry?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
The Organization for Energy/Electricity Reduction sounds like a, um, very creative person trying to prove "mainstream physics is wrong". What about:
Liberals for Electricity Waste Discontinuance (LEWD)
Friends Undertaking Electricity Liberation (FUEL)
New United Thinkers Targeting Electricity Reduction Society (NUTTERS)
World Alliance Nobly Keeping Electricity Reliance Small (WANKERS)

Anyone else have suggestions?? :wink:

wolram
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
The Organization for Energy/Electricity Reduction sounds like a, um, very creative person trying to prove "mainstream physics is wrong". What about:
Liberals for Electricity Waste Discontinuance (LEWD)
Friends Undertaking Electricity Liberation (FUEL)
New United Thinkers Targeting Electricity Reduction Society (NUTTERS)
World Alliance Nobly Keeping Electricity Reliance Small (WANKERS)

Anyone else have suggestions?? :wink:
Hmmm, i detect someone who is not taking ofer, SERIOUSLY
:confused: , probably someone who uses an electric paper shreader :yuck:
As a good gesture, i am offering 1doz candles, to the first 100 members. :biggrin:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
wolram said:
As a good gesture, i am offering 1doz candles, to the first 100 members. :biggrin:
You mean you are ofering 1doz candles... :wink:

Evo
Mentor
wolram said:
Well, since my electricity is fried, count me in!

Actually, it appears that it was NOT lightning that caused all of my appliances to self destruct, it was NASA's interference with that comet!! I am now suing NASA. :biggrin:

wolram
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
You mean you are ofering 1doz candles... :wink:
Ok, good one HRWWB, butt you will have to hurry, the first member is cueing up
to join.

wolram
Gold Member
Evo said:
Well, since my electricity is fried, count me in!

Actually, it appears that it was NOT lightning that caused all of my appliances to self destruct, it was NASA's interference with that comet!! I am now suing NASA. :biggrin:
Well to be absolutely honest Evo, i have sort of invented the lectrictrisiy
neutral iser, and the first test seemed to have, oops :uhh: your candles
are on the way express delivery :biggrin:

My cabin in the north has no electric, I spent 6 months there a few years back, and found I had adapted very well. I made a very well insulated ice box, and with block ice, it kept things cold for 5 or more days. Theres a root cellar, to keep veggies in, but most of the time I sunk heavy stoneware bowls into the creek{covered with a plate and a rock} and things remained chilled. Bottles of wine worked well that way too.
If you have reflector* candle or oil lamp holders, you can read easily at night.
I became a master of cooking and baking with wood, which I still do in my yard.
The well is around 100 years old, so I boiled all drinking/cooking water, which was kind of a pain. Neighbors helped me build a well house, to keep it from freezing in the winter.
I washed cloths in a old copper wash boiler, hah, but nothing got ironed, even tho I have old sadirons. I did find myself wearing the things that washed easy, most often.

* made of mercury glass