Can You Catch a Falling Dollar Bill with Your Reaction Time?

In summary: Your friend makes a wager with you. He holds a $50 bill between your thumb and finger, and says you can keep the $100 bill if you can catch it when it drops. The bill is 16cm long. Using your reaction time do you catch the bill?The bill is 16 cm long and falls at 9.8 meters per second. Your reaction time must be less than or equal to the time it takes the bill to fall 16 cm in order to catch it.
kenji1992

Homework Statement

Your friend makes a wager with you. He holds a $50 bill between your thumb and finger, and says you can keep the $100 bill if you can catch it when it drops. The bill is 16cm long. Using your reaction time do you catch the bill?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rxn time: 0.20 s
I assume acceleration and velocity are relevant, but I don't know how to solve it. We solved a similar example in class, but I can't remember.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approximate distance fallen and the acceleration due to gravity are both known. Hence one can calculate an approximate value for the reaction time and then a decision can be made if this is possible.

d=16cm
a=9.8 m/s^2 (would this be negative?)
t=?

Would I use this formula: y(t) = vi*t - 1/2gt^2

0.16m = 0m/s*t - 1/2*9.8 m/s^2*t^2
0.16 m=4.9 m/s^2 *t^2
0.16 m/4.9 m/s^2 = t^2
then square it?

Note that units of distance have to be consistent.

Yes that is the correct formula except that I would have put (1/2) instead of 1/2.

If you square your answer you get a value for t[itex]^{4}[/itex] and not for the value of t.

Oops, I typed the wrong formula. In my text, it shows that it is y(t)=yi +vi*t -(1/2)gt^2

What do i do about the yi?

It is OK. Just take y[itex]_{i}[/itex] to be 0.

That is the distance fallen is going to be measured from the top of the dollar bill.

y(t) = vi*t - 1/2gt^2

0.16m = 0m/s*t - 1/2*9.8 m/s^2*t^2
0.16 m=4.9 m/s^2 *t^2
0.16 m/4.9 m/s^2 = t^2
t=0.18 s

so then theoretically i could not catch the dollar bill? right?

The calculation is ok.

The final decision is for you to decide!

Kinematics

To clarify, I think there are some additional conditions: your thumb and index finger are aligned with the bottom of the bill, and you cannot move your hand.
When your friend drops the bill, you must have pinched your thumb and index finger together at or before the time the top of the bill falls to their height. In other words, your reaction time must be less than or equal to the time it takes the bill to fall 16 cm.
We know that objects at or near Earth's surface experience an acceleration of ~9.8 meters per second every second toward the Earth's center of mass. Since the bill remains close to Earth's surface throughout its fall, we may assume acceleration is a constant -9.8 m/s2 as long as we define the upward direction to be positive. Therefore, we may define a function that relates the acceleration of this bill to the elapsed time, a(t) = -9.8. From this, we can antidifferentiate a(t) to find a family of functions that relate the velocity of the bill to time, v(t) = -9.8t + vi, where vi is the initial velocity of the bill. Since it is at rest before being dropped, vi = 0, and v(t) = -9.8t. Antidifferentiate v(t) to find a family of functions that relate the position of the top of the bill to time, p(t) = -4.9t2 + hi, where hi is the initial height of the top of the bill. If you let your hand be the reference point, then the hi = .16 m, and p(t) = -4.9t2 + .16. We want to know the elapsed time when the top of the bill has reached your hand, so we set p(t) = 0.
-4.9t2 + .16 = 0
t = [itex]\sqrt{}(.16/4.9)[/itex] ≈ .18 seconds, so with a reaction time of .2 seconds, the bill will fall through your fingers before you can react, and your friend will win the bet.

One final difficulty to be solved.

Reading the first post one wonders how the original bill of $50 changes into one of $100 when it is falling!

What is the "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem"?

The "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" is a physics thought experiment that explores the relationship between mass and acceleration due to gravity. In this scenario, a dollar bill and a bowling ball are dropped from the same height at the same time. The question is whether they will hit the ground at the same time or if one will reach the ground first.

What factors affect the outcome of the "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem"?

The main factor that affects the outcome of this problem is air resistance. The dollar bill, being light and flat, experiences more air resistance than the bowling ball, causing it to fall slower. Additionally, the shape and size of the objects can also play a role in their acceleration due to gravity.

What does the "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" demonstrate?

The "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" demonstrates the principle of inertia, which states that objects will continue moving at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is the force of air resistance on the dollar bill, causing it to fall slower than the bowling ball.

How is the "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" related to real-world scenarios?

The "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" is related to real-world scenarios in which objects of different masses are dropped from the same height. For example, a feather and a rock dropped from the same height will not hit the ground at the same time due to air resistance affecting the lighter feather more than the heavier rock.

What is the significance of the "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" in the field of physics?

The "Dollar bill Free Fall Problem" is significant in the field of physics as it helps us understand the concept of acceleration due to gravity and how it is affected by external factors. It also demonstrates the importance of considering air resistance in real-world scenarios when predicting the motion of objects.