Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dolphins know each other names

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    Could they possible be able to envole in the near futre into an intellgent speices?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    Not near more like distant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [ok enough laughing at scott1]
  4. May 24, 2006 #3
    The only way they would evolve to become more intelligent would be if they were not fit to live in their environment (dying off basically) and that being more intelligent would increase their fitness (ability to survive.) Things to evolve to be "better" unless the environment requies it (natural selection.)
  5. May 28, 2006 #4
  6. May 28, 2006 #5
    I disagree with your assessment of evolution. I do not believe that natural selection alone is the mechanism that spurs species to evolve. I do believe that it is a major part of evolution and determines the form that species take as they adjust to conditions within their environment. Whatever forms life takes the goal of evolution is the same.

Evolution is the process wherein which the universe becomes aware of itself.
  7. May 28, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?