Dolphins know each other names

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of this website. It's actually quite funny. In summary, this website is a satirical take on the dolphin issue.
scott1
Whistles are used for individual recognition
DOLPHINS may be closer to humans than previously realized, with new research showing they communicate by whistling out their own “names”.

The evidence suggests dolphins share the human ability to recognise themselves and other members of the same species as individuals with separate identities. The research, on wild bottlenose dolphins, will lead to a reassessment of their intelligence and social complexity, raising moral questions over how they should be treated.
Could they possible be able to envole in the near futre into an intellgent speices?
http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/5548/dolphins5js.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Not near more like distant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [ok enough laughing at scott1]
-scott

The only way they would evolve to become more intelligent would be if they were not fit to live in their environment (dying off basically) and that being more intelligent would increase their fitness (ability to survive.) Things to evolve to be "better" unless the environment requies it (natural selection.)

scott1 said:
Could they possible be able to envole in the near futre into an intellgent speices?
http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/5548/dolphins5js.gif
I think they are already an intelligent species. Technology is not the only measure of a species intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasi426 said:
The only way they would evolve to become more intelligent would be if they were not fit to live in their environment (dying off basically) and that being more intelligent would increase their fitness (ability to survive.) Things to evolve to be "better" unless the environment requies it (natural selection.)
I disagree with your assessment of evolution. I do not believe that natural selection alone is the mechanism that spurs species to evolve. I do believe that it is a major part of evolution and determines the form that species take as they adjust to conditions within their environment. Whatever forms life takes the goal of evolution is the same.

Evolution is the process wherein which the universe becomes aware of itself.

My god, Anti-Dolphin.org is a real organisation! :bugeye: :eek: :eek;

http://www.bluealien.org/subdomains/anti-dolphin/

They even do mugs!

~H

What do scientists mean when they say "dolphins know each other names"?

When scientists say "dolphins know each other names," they are referring to the ability of dolphins to recognize and respond to individual names or unique vocalizations of other dolphins in their social group.

How do dolphins learn each other's names?

Dolphins learn each other's names through vocal communication. They produce unique whistles and other vocalizations that serve as their names, and other dolphins in their group learn to associate these sounds with specific individuals.

Why is it important for dolphins to know each other's names?

Knowing each other's names allows dolphins to maintain social bonds and navigate complex social interactions. It also helps with coordinating group activities, such as hunting and avoiding predators.

Do all dolphins have names?

Not all dolphins have individual names, but many species, such as bottlenose dolphins, have been observed using unique vocalizations to communicate with and identify specific individuals.

Can dolphins remember each other's names?

Yes, dolphins have the ability to remember and recognize each other's names even after long periods of separation. This demonstrates their strong social bonds and advanced cognitive abilities.