What is the range of the given function with a specified domain?

In summary, the speaker is asking for confirmation on the notation for a function's domain and range, specifically if the independent variable can be included in the notation. The responder suggests typing out the problem instead of uploading a crude sketch, and points out that the range provided by the speaker is incorrect as it only restates the function's equation. They suggest checking a few pairs of numbers to determine the correct range.
Norm850

Homework Statement

Given the function, state the domain and range. I just want to make sure my notation is correct? More specifically, the I am f, can you have the independent variable in there?

Here's my answer: http://tinypic.com/r/2nlda2q/5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Norm850 said:

Homework Statement

Given the function, state the domain and range. I just want to make sure my notation is correct? More specifically, the I am f, can you have the independent variable in there?

Here's my answer: http://tinypic.com/r/2nlda2q/5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your image is just barely legible. Instead of drawing a crude sketch of the problem, and then uploading an image of it, why not just type the problem in here?

For your problem, the domain is fine, but the range is not. All you have done is just restate the equation of the function. If the domain is the set of integers, what set do you get for the range? It might be helpful to check a few pairs of numbers.

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the independent variable. It is the set of values for which the function is defined.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to look at the restrictions on the independent variable. These can include limitations due to the function's definition, restrictions on the type of numbers that can be used, or any real-world constraints.

3. What is the range or image of a function?

The range or image of a function is the set of all possible output values for the dependent variable. It is the set of values that the function can produce based on the input values in the domain.

4. How do you find the range or image of a function?

To find the range or image of a function, you can use several methods such as graphing the function, creating a table of values, or using algebraic techniques. It is important to note that for some functions, the range or image may be limited by the function's definition or the domain of the function.

5. Can a function have the same domain and range?

Yes, a function can have the same domain and range. In fact, this is often the case for many basic functions, such as linear and quadratic functions. However, it is not a requirement for a function to have the same domain and range.