Domain and imaginary numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the function sqrt(x) and its domain. It is stated that the domain is all non-negative real numbers, but the conversation also brings up the issue of negative inputs and imaginary outputs. It is then explained that the assumptions made about the function, such as its notation and mapping definition, can lead to misunderstandings and the need for further clarification. Ultimately, it is argued that the lack of information provided in the conversation creates a trap and the conversation is closed.
FAS1998
Consider the function sqrt(x).

What is the domain of this function? Is it all real positive numbers?

This is what I was taught in high school, but I was also taught that plugging in -1 would give an answer of i.

So if the function takes negative inputs, shouldn’t they be part of the domain?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FAS1998 said:

What is the domain of this function? Is it all real positive numbers?
Almost. It's all non negative real numbers.
This is what I was taught in high school, but I was also taught that plugging in -1 would give an answer of i.
And now we pay the price for sloppiness! sqrt(x) is a sequence of seven letters over the latin alphabet extended by some special characters. It is not a function. By calling it a function we made several hidden assumptions:
  1. sqrt(x) = ##+\sqrt{x}##
  2. sqrt(x) = ##\left( f\, : \,\mathbb{R}_0^+\longrightarrow \mathbb{R} \,;\,x \stackrel{f}{\longmapsto} +\sqrt{x} \right)##
So if the function takes negative inputs, shouldn’t they be part of the domain?
No, the domain should be part of the definition in the first place! It isn't honest to rely on hidden assumptions and then change horses in the middle of the race.

Likes FAS1998
fresh_42 said:
Almost. It's all non negative real numbers.

And now we pay the price for sloppiness! sqrt(x) is a sequence of seven letters over the latin alphabet extended by some special characters. It is not a function. By calling it a function we made several hidden assumptions:
  1. sqrt(x) = ##+\sqrt{x}##
  2. sqrt(x) = ##\left( f\, : \,\mathbb{R}_0^+\longrightarrow \mathbb{R} \,;\,x \stackrel{f}{\longmapsto} +\sqrt{x} \right)##
No, the domain should be part of the definition in the first place! It isn't honest to rely on hidden assumptions and then change horses in the middle of the race.
I’m not super familiar with some of the notation you used for assumption 2. Does that say that the domain of the function is all real numbers equal to or greater than 0?

Why is this assumption implied by the fact that sqrt(x) is a function?

I thought a function was just of mapping of elements from one set to another set. I don’t know how sqrt(x) being a function would exclude negative inputs and/or imaginary outputs.

##\sqrt{z}## is defined for all complex ##z##. Using the notation above f:C-> C.

FAS1998 said:
I’m not super familiar with some of the notation you used for assumption 2. Does that say that the domain of the function is all real numbers equal to or greater than 0?
Yes.
Why is this assumption implied by the fact that sqrt(x) is a function?
Because you have said ...
FAS1998 said:
... and human automatically adds everything which isn't said and makes an assumption, which allows the sentence to make sense. It is a convention that real variables are noted by an ##x## and complex variables by a ##z##, same as function values are associated with ##y##. This isn't written anywhere, it is just what most people do. So ##x## is associated with a real variable, unless otherwise stated! If ##x<0## then ##\sqrt{x}## is no real function anymore. This is why ##x\geq 0## is assumed. Again, this is an extrapolation of the many unmentioned aspects of a function: domain, range, mapping definition.
I thought a function was just of mapping of elements from one set to another set ...
... with the property, that no element can be mapped on two different ones, yes. But as you said: two sets are involved, ##\mathbb{R}_0^+ \, , \, \mathbb{R}## or ##\mathbb{C}## or whatever. Since they haven't been specified, there are two possibilities left:
  • reject your entire question due to insufficient data
  • add required data, which again offers two possibilities
    • add the data to yield a solution which is most general
    • add the data under the assumption that context is as usual
I don’t know how sqrt(x) being a function would exclude negative inputs and/or imaginary outputs.
It doesn't. You created a lack of information and now refuse the attempt to make sense of this manko.

This means: the only reason for this thread is reasoning, based on a trap.

Thread closed.

1. What is a domain in mathematics?

A domain in mathematics refers to the set of all possible input values for a function. It is the set of values for which the function is defined and can produce an output.

2. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, denoted by the letter "i". They are used to represent the square root of negative numbers, which cannot be expressed as a real number.

3. How are imaginary numbers represented on a complex plane?

Imaginary numbers are represented on a complex plane as points, with the real part of the number being plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part being plotted on the vertical axis. This allows for visualizing and performing operations on complex numbers.

4. What is the relationship between imaginary numbers and real numbers?

Imaginary numbers and real numbers are both types of complex numbers. Real numbers can be thought of as a subset of complex numbers, where the imaginary part is equal to 0. Imaginary numbers, on the other hand, have a non-zero imaginary part.

5. How are imaginary numbers used in real-world applications?

Imaginary numbers have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating current, resonance, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and control systems.