1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain and Range of functions

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    Could someone please explain to me what the range and domain of a function is and how to find them? I just don't understand what they mean
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The domain of a function is the set of all valid inputs to the function. The range is the set of all possible outputs.

For example, if f(x) = 1/x2, the domain is all real numbers except 0. The range is all real numbers greater than 0.

D = {x in R | x [itex]\neq[/itex] 0}
    R = {y in R | y > 0}

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    Domain is all the possible values that X could be
    Range is all the possible values that Y could be

example: determine the domain and range of y= x^2

when u sketched the graph, you can see x could be anything, it keeps going forever there for D( -infinity, +infinity)

for y, however, you can see y never goes below x axis, the maximum value for y is just 0
    therefore (0, +infinity), because y goes up forever.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4
    But domain and range cant share a common number Can they?

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure, why not?

7. Sep 3, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They don't have to but they certainly can.

For example, the domain and range of f(x)= 2x+ 1 are both "all real numbers". Given any real number, I can certainly multiply it by 2 and then add 1- the domain is all real numbers. On the other hand, for any real number x, f(x)= 2x+ 1= y if 2x= y- 1 or x= (y- 1)/2 which is a real number. Since I can get any real number as a result of f(x) the range is all real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook