Domain and Range of fg(x) for f(x)= e^{2x} + 3 and g(x) = ln(x-1)

In summary: Hmmm so fg(x) is not a function of x in its own right? it's dependant on the functions that make it up? That doesn't really make sense to me...=/Yes f o g is a function in its own right. Note that when you write fg, it's usually interpreted to mean the product of two functions. IOW (fg)(x) = f(x)*g(x). What you're working with is the composition of two functions, which is why I have been writing the letter o between them. f o g (x) = f(g(x)).
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

Find the range for the function;

fg(x) and state its range where

[tex] f(x)= e^{2x} + 3[/tex] and [tex] g(x) = ln(x-1) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting g into f I reach;

[tex] fg(x) = e^{2ln(x-1)}+3 [/tex] (1) - here is where I have the problem, now, I know that it simplifies down to

[tex] fg(x) = (x-1)^2 + 3 [/tex] (2)

However the question is, can [tex] x = 1 [/tex], it's obvious that for the function g, x > 1, or it's undefined, however when you put that into fg(x) the ln goes away so clearly in equation (2) fg >= 3, whereas with (1) fg > 3 (because x > 1). So basically I was wondering, it's obvious that g, f, & fg are linked, however is there a fundamental link between their domain/ranges? Or is it considered a new separate function?

I'd appreciate some guidance, this was on an exam the other day.

Physics news on Phys.org
(f o g)(x) = f(g(x)) = e2ln(x - 1) + 3 = eln(x-1)2 + 3.

Simplify the exponential term using the fact that eln(u) = u, for u > 0.

On reading your post more carefully, I think you know this.

The composite function f o g is tied to the two functions that make it up, but is different from both. You need to look at the domain of g, which will have a bearing on the domain of f o g. The

Hmmm so fg(x) is not a function of x in its own right? it's dependant on the functions that make it up? That doesn't really make sense to me...=/

As for the domain of g, I believe it's g > 0, but how does that help me?

Chewy0087 said:
Hmmm so fg(x) is not a function of x in its own right? it's dependant on the functions that make it up? That doesn't really make sense to me...=/
Yes f o g is a function in its own right. Note that when you write fg, it's usually interpreted to mean the product of two functions. IOW (fg)(x) = f(x)*g(x). What you're working with is the composition of two functions, which is why I have been writing the letter o between them. f o g (x) = f(g(x)).
Chewy0087 said:
As for the domain of g, I believe it's g > 0, but how does that help me?
No that doesn't make any sense. g is the name of the function. For g(x) = ln(x - 1), the domain is {x| x > 1}. The input to the ln function has to be positive, so x - 1 > 0, so x > 1.

Mark44 said:
Yes f o g is a function in its own right. Note that when you write fg, it's usually interpreted to mean the product of two functions. IOW (fg)(x) = f(x)*g(x). What you're working with is the composition of two functions, which is why I have been writing the letter o between them. f o g (x) = f(g(x)).

No that doesn't make any sense. g is the name of the function. For g(x) = ln(x - 1), the domain is {x| x > 1}. The input to the ln function has to be positive, so x - 1 > 0, so x > 1.

Ah yeah, sorry, i did mean f(g(x)), my bad.

So sorry for the confusion >.< but would the range therefore of f(g(x)) be >= 3? Sorry to be blunt but my teacher says it's just > 3 and i don't believe him >.<

The range of f o g is {y | y > 3}. For the range to include 3, it would have to be true that eln(x - 1)2 is 0, which doesn't happen for any real number x.

Think about it: eln(x - 1)2 is identically equal to (x - 1)2, for all x > 1. If x = 1, (x - 1)2 = 0, but eln(x - 1)2 is undefined.

Also, x <= 1 is not in the domain of f o g, for the reason that x <= 1 is not in the domain of ln(x - 1).

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the function. It is the set of all values for which the function is defined and can produce an output.

2. How do you determine the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values for the function. It can be determined by looking at the values that the function produces for different input values in its domain.

3. Can the domain and range of a function be the same?

Yes, it is possible for the domain and range of a function to be the same, but it is not always the case. The domain and range of a function can be equal if the function is one-to-one, meaning each input value has a unique output value.

4. How do you graph the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is typically graphed on the x-axis, while the range is graphed on the y-axis. The points where the function intersects the x-axis represent the input values in the domain, and the points where it intersects the y-axis represent the output values in the range.

5. What is the difference between the domain and the codomain of a function?

The domain is the set of all possible input values for a function, while the codomain is the set of all possible output values. The codomain can be larger than the range, as the function may not produce all possible output values for every input value in the domain.