Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain and Range using sets

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    I was just wondering if you could write a functions domain and range with a set?

Would it be something like

D: {[tex]x \epsilon \mathbb{R}[/tex] | any condtitions}
    R: {[tex]f(x) \epsilon \mathbb{R}[/tex] | any condtitions}

for any function f(x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What exactly is your question? Look at the definitions of "domain" and "range" (of a function). Of course they are sets. And of course that, in the definition of "range", some conditions must be satisfied, namely, R(f) = {f(x) : x is in the domain of f}.

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    His question is simple, Can you write the domain and range of a function as sets. The answer is Yes, because they are sets.

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4
    Thanks for the replies. I know that the domain and range are sets, I was more asking along the lines of is my set "notation" correct? Sorry, I should have asked that to begin with...

6. Sep 19, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Should have asked what? If you know that "domain" and "range" of a function are sets, then of course they can be written in "set notation"!

7. Sep 19, 2007 #6
    You don’t need to put “any condition” - the vertical bar should read “such that” so when you write a set ask yourself is what you wrote makes sense saying "such that" for |. Also you could just put R for your example of domain. If you gave the set you gave as range for an answer you should get 0 points. When a book ask you to find the range they are asking for the range specific to that function; yours just trys to restate the definition.

Typically they will look something like

R-{0} or something like {x | x >= 0 and x is an element of R}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?