Domain & Range of f: Identifying Math Function

In summary, the domain for the function is all real numbers while the range is a set of either 0 or 1 for the first function, and a range of [1, \infty) for the second function. The first function is known as the characteristic function of the set of integers, while the second function is also known as the hyperbolic cosine function. The domain and range can be determined by understanding the function ex and its properties.
needhelp83
Identify the domain and range for the function

f= {(x,y)[tex] \in \mathbb{R} [/tex] x [tex]\mathbb{R}:y=\chi _{\mathbb{Z}}[/tex](x)}

[tex]f={(x,y)\in \mathbb{R} x \mathbb{R}:y=\frac{e^x + e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]

How do I determine the correct results. I am not really understanding the terminology.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I surely don't! Is it really "chi" and "z" of x? [itex]\chi _{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex]? If those are not defined in your text I can't help you.

For the second, that is also known as the "hyperbolic cosine", cosh(x), but you don't really need to know that. Are you familiar with the function ex? You should know that its domain (values of x for which it is defined) is all real numbers while its range (possible values of the function itself) is all positive numbers. It should be easy to get the domain and range of (ex+ e-x)/2 from that.

From my textbook the [tex] \chi_{A} (x) [/tex] is called the characteristic function of A.

needhelp83 said:
From my textbook the [tex] \chi_{A} (x) [/tex] is called the characteristic function of A.

Then if Z means the integers, and f(x)=y, then f(x)=1 if x is an integer and f(x)=0 if x is not an integer. So what are the domain and range of that?

Alright this should be right

1. Domain = [tex] \mathbbc{R} [/tex]
Range = {1}
2. Domain = [tex] \mathbbc{R} [/tex]
Range = [1,x)

Is this done correctly?

needhelp83 said:
Alright this should be right

1. Domain = [tex] \mathbbc{R} [/tex]
Range = {1}
No, as Dick said, this function can have values of either 0 or 1. The range is {0, 1}.

2. Domain = [tex] \mathbbc{R} [/tex]
Range = [1,x)
The range is a set of numbers. It cannot involve the variable x. The range is [itex][1, \infty)[/itex]. Was that a typo?

1. What is a domain and range in a math function?

A domain in a math function is the set of all input values, or independent variables, for which the function is defined. The range is the set of all output values, or dependent variables, that result from applying the function to the input values.

2. How do you identify the domain and range of a math function?

To identify the domain of a math function, you must determine which values the independent variable can take on without causing the function to be undefined. To identify the range, you must determine the set of values that the dependent variable can take on as a result of the function. This can be done by analyzing the function's graph or by identifying any restrictions or patterns in the equation.

3. Can a math function have an infinite domain or range?

Yes, a math function can have an infinite domain or range. This means that the function is defined for all real numbers and there is no limit to the values it can output. An example of a function with an infinite domain and range is the exponential function, y = e^x.

4. What is the difference between the domain and range of a function?

The domain refers to the input values of a function, while the range refers to the output values. In other words, the domain is the set of all possible x-values, and the range is the set of all possible y-values.

5. Why is it important to understand the domain and range of a math function?

Understanding the domain and range of a math function is important because it helps us to understand the behavior of the function and its limitations. It also allows us to determine the set of possible values for the input and output variables, which is crucial in many real-world applications of math functions.