Defining the Domain for a Polar Coordinate Function

In summary: No. r at theta = pi/6 is 1. r at theta = pi/2 is 0. If not f*** me... r at theta = pi/2 is 0 is the origin. That's clearly not in the domain.
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = y([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])^-1
y ≥ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex] ≤ 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would you check my domain please?

[itex]f^{pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]f^{sqrt(3)/2}_{-sqrt(3)/2}[/itex] sinθ drdθ

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, all wrong. Did you draw a sketch of the region? The angle doesn't go from 0 to pi. And your r limits look more like x limits.

Yes I did and it looks like the attachment. and the Coordinate was (-[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) to ([itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) is it not?

Attachments

• calc 3.png
    calc 3.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 365
DrunkApple said:
Yes I did and it looks like the attachment. and the Coordinate was (-[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) to ([itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2, [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]) is it not?

Nice sketch! And like I said the sqrt(3)/2 stuff is the x limits. It's not the starting angle and ending angle. Those would be the angles your endpoints make with the origin, right?

for dθ, do I have to use anti tangent(I think I forgot the proper name) of the coordinate to get the angle?

for dr... I am lost on dr cuz... wait... is dr the distance from the origin to the each of the coordinate?

edit - so dr domain is -1 to 1 right?

DrunkApple said:
for dθ, do I have to use anti tangent(I think I forgot the proper name) of the coordinate to get the angle?

for dr... I am lost on dr cuz... wait... is dr the distance from the origin to the each of the coordinate?

edit - so dr domain is -1 to 1 right?

Sure, you can use arctan to find the angles. Now to find the r limits think about a line through the origin at some angle theta. What's the radius value where it hits the circle x^2+y^2=1? That's easy. Now what's the radius value where it hits the line y=2? Time to use y=r*sin(theta).

Dick said:
Sure, you can use arctan to find the angles. Now to find the r limits think about a line through the origin at some angle theta. What's the radius value where it hits the circle x^2+y^2=1? That's easy. Now what's the radius value where it hits the line y=2? Time to use y=r*sin(theta).
ok so for dθ, its pi/6 to 5pi/6

for dr, the radius of x^2 + y^2 = 1 is 1 obviously. But where did y = 2 come from? Did you mean y = 1/2? Isn't dr domain based on the distance from the origin? like in the picture?

Attachments

• calc 3.png
    calc 3.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 346
DrunkApple said:
ok so for dθ, its pi/6 to 5pi/6

for dr, the radius of x^2 + y^2 = 1 is 1 obviously. But where did y = 2 come from? Did you mean y = 1/2? Isn't dr domain based on the distance from the origin? like in the picture?

Sure. I meant y=(1/2). Sorry. And the r limit (that's not the same as 'dr') is the distance from the origin to boundary curve along the angle theta. So upper limit for r is 1, right.

Dick said:
Sure. I meant y=(1/2). Sorry. And the r limit (that's not the same as 'dr') is the distance from the origin to boundary curve along the angle theta. So upper limit for r is 1, right.
and the lower limit is -1 I hope?? :uhh:

DrunkApple said:
and the lower limit is -1 I hope?? :uhh:

Noo. y=(1/2)=r*sin(theta). Solve for r. The lower limit depends on theta, doesn't it? Can't you see that from your sketch? As theta changes the distance from the origin to the point on the line changes.

Dick said:
Noo. y=(1/2)=r*sin(theta). Solve for r. The lower limit depends on theta, doesn't it? Can't you see that from your sketch? As theta changes the distance from the origin to the point on the line changes.
No this one I really don't get. So lower limit always depends on theta?

DrunkApple said:
No this one I really don't get. So lower limit always depends on theta?

Not always! As theta changes the distance to the circle x^2+y^2 stays 1. The distance to the line y=(1/2) does. If r is the distance along the angle theta from the origin to y=(1/2), what's r at theta=pi/2? What's r at theta=pi/6?

Dick said:
Not always! As theta changes the distance to the circle x^2+y^2 stays 1. The distance to the line y=(1/2) does. If r is the distance along the angle theta from the origin to y=(1/2), what's r at theta=pi/2? What's r at theta=pi/6?
well r at theta = pi/6 is 1
r at theta = pi/2 is 0
if not f*** me

DrunkApple said:
r at theta = pi/2 is 0
if not f*** me
r=0 is the origin. That's clearly not in the domain.

(No intention to fool you.)

DrunkApple said:
well r at theta = pi/6 is 1
r at theta = pi/2 is 0
if not f*** me

You are really missing some essential part of the picture here. And I can't figure out what it is. If you draw a line from the origin at an angle of pi/2, where does it hit the line y=(1/2)??

Dick said:
You are really missing some essential part of the picture here. And I can't figure out what it is. If you draw a line from the origin at an angle of pi/2, where does it hit the line y=(1/2)??

are you asking for this green part?

Attachments

• calc 3.png
    calc 3.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 392
DrunkApple said:
are you asking for this green part?

Exactly right. It's not 0, is it? And that's only the lower bound for r at theta=pi/2. Like I said before the lower bound is a function of theta. Can you write an expression for it?

No it is not. I believe the distance from the origin to y = 1/2 is 1/2... that's the green part

DrunkApple said:
No it is not. I believe the distance from the origin to y = 1/2 is 1/2... that's the green part

Ok, so the lower bound of r at pi/2 is 1/2 and the lower bound for r at pi/6 is 1. Now what is an expression for it at an arbitrary value of theta?? Once again, y=(1/2)=r*sin(theta).

OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO i got it now I fully get it now Now I know
THank you very much
I'll buy you a beer when we meet :D

1. What is the domain for polar coordinates?

The domain for polar coordinates is the set of all possible values for the independent variable, typically denoted by the Greek letter theta (θ). It usually ranges from 0 to 2π, representing a complete circle.

2. Are there any restrictions on the domain for polar coordinates?

Yes, the domain for polar coordinates is restricted to non-negative values only. This means that the angle (θ) cannot be less than 0 or greater than 2π.

3. Can the domain for polar coordinates be extended beyond 2π?

Yes, the domain for polar coordinates can be extended to include values greater than 2π. This is known as the multi-valued or extended domain, and it is often used in applications such as complex analysis and physics.

4. How do you graph a function with a restricted domain in polar coordinates?

To graph a function with a restricted domain in polar coordinates, you can plot points on a polar grid and then connect them with a smooth curve. The grid should have evenly spaced radial lines and concentric circles to represent the distance from the origin and the angle (θ), respectively.

5. Why is the domain for polar coordinates important in mathematics?

The domain for polar coordinates is important in mathematics because it allows us to represent and analyze complex shapes and equations in a more intuitive and visual way. It also has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.