1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of a derivative

1. Jul 12, 2006 #1
    Can the domain of f'(x) be larger than the domain of f(x)?

Here's my work, as per the rules:smile:

The problem I'm working on states
    f(x) = x + √x
    and says to find f'(x), the domain of f(x), and the domain of f'(x).

I found that f'(x)=1, so I want to say that its domain is all real numbers. But the domain of f(x) is only (0, ∞).

Hence my question in the first line.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2
    Look at your differentiation again. You only calculated the derivative of f(x) = x.
  4. Jul 12, 2006 #3
    You need to differentiate Sqrt(x) too, as mentionned by Hammie and then see for what values of x D[f(x) = x + Sqrt(x)] is defined.

By that I mean check for what values of x the denominator of D[f(x)] does not equal zero. If the denominator of D[f(x)] equals zero, then D[f(x)] is not defined for these particular values of x because dividing by zero is one of the few "forbidden" operations in math.

To answer your question, the domain of D[f(x)] can include the domain of f(x). For example f(x) = ln(x)
    The domain is ]0, +infinity[ and D[f(x)] = 1/x had R/{0} as domain.

Hope it helps
  5. Jul 12, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

is defined as
    [tex]lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}[/tex]
    If f(a) is not defined, then f '(a) is not defined either.
  6. Jul 14, 2006 #5
    I re-did the problem and came up with f'(x) = 1 + [1/(2√ x)].
    Is that the right answer? (It's an even problem, so the book doesn't have the answer...)
    Thank you!
  7. Jul 14, 2006 #6
    Looks good to me. So, what does that say about the domain?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  8. Jul 14, 2006 #7
    That means that my original question is irrelevant for this problem, b/c the domain of f'(x) is x=0 or x>0, which the domain for f'(x).

Thanks everyone, both for checking my work and answering my original question!
  9. Jul 14, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not.
    [tex]f(x)= x+ \sqrt{x}[/tex]
    is defined for x= 0 but
    [tex]f '(x)= 1- \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
    is not!

And the answer to your original question is "No, the domain of f ' cannot be larger than the domain of f, but it can be a proper subset."
  10. Jul 15, 2006 #9
    Thank you a lot HallsofIvy for correcting my mistakes. I had mistaken the derivative ( the linear application wich associates the function to it's linear approx. ) and the function it represents.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?