1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of a function

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the domain of the function: f(x,y) = xy*√(x2+y)

2. Relevant equations
    The domain is the set of all input values for which the function is defined.

3. The attempt at a solution
    D = {(x,y): xy>0}

I plugged the function into Wolfram and it gave the result:

D = {(x,y): x2+y ≥ 0 }

I can see how that solution is correct, but isn't mine as well? I'm saying that the product of x and y is greater than 0, which implies neither x nor y = 0, hence the > symbol.

The wolfram solution seems a little less explicit to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your D would be the first and the third quadrant. What is f(-1,-3) according to you ?
    Sketch the two answers in the xy plane and see that you include areas that should be excludede and vice versa.

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3
    f(-1,-3) is in the second quadrant of the domain, and according to my domain it maps to 3.

I've stated that D=(x,y): xy>0.that whatever the x or y values take on in the domain, the output will always be greater than 0.

This is incorrect though. The product of the equation states √(x2+y). The point (-3,1) could not be mapped in the reals because √(32+1) = √-8.

√(x2+y) has to be greater than or equal to 0, therefore x2+y ≥ 0

5. Mar 22, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. For a point x,y to be in the domain, f(x,y) has to exist. It doesn't have to be > 0. ( [edit] quote added to indicate what precisely is correct. )

Oops ! I mentioned the point (1, -3) for which x2 + y = -2 < 0 so (-1,3) is not in D.

The point (-3,1), however, happily resides in D: f(-3,1) = - 3 √8 !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] : added:

No. f(-1,-3) does not exist.

You seem to think f(x,y) = x,y but it is not.

Furthermore, you seem to mix up domain and range. Check your notes/textbook.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. Mar 22, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your solution is not correct.

If y=0, then x can be any number.

If x=0, then y≥0 .

The important issue here is that ##\ \sqrt{x^2+y\,}\ ## gives a real number result so long as ##\ x^2+y\ge0\ ##.

7. Mar 22, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw the curve ##C: \:y = -x^2## in the ##(x,y)## plane. For a point ##p =(x,y)## to be in the domain of ##f##, where must ##p## be located in relation to the curve ##C##?

8. Mar 22, 2016 #7
    I meant to say that the a point (x,y) is in a quadrant on the xy-plane and a function will either map or not map this point. (i.e. it exists or does not exist.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  9. Mar 22, 2016 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's pretty vague, to say "a point (x,y) is in a quadrant on the xy-plane". Also, a point in the x-y plane exists whether or not f maps it to some value.

There's a fair amount of confusion in this thread. The domain is not, as has been mentioned, the first and third quadrants. The domain is ##\{(x, y) | x^2 + y \ge 0\}##. It would be helpful to sketch a graph of the domain, which is a geometric figure you should already know, together with all the interior points of this figure.

The important thing if for the quantity inside the radical to be >= 0. All you need to say is that ##x^2 + y \ge 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted