Domain of Function: xy>0

There are lots of other ways to say this, too.That's not how Wolfram works. It doesn't give the set of values of x and y for which f(x,y) is defined. Instead it gives the set of values for which the function you typed in will work. In this case, Wolfram is correct, but that's only by coincidence.In summary, the domain of the function f(x,y) = xy*√(x2+y) is {(x,y): x^2+y≥0}. This means that any input values for x and y that make the expression under the square root greater than or equal to 0 are allowed in the domain.
says

Homework Statement

Find the domain of the function: f(x,y) = xy*√(x2+y)

Homework Equations

The domain is the set of all input values for which the function is defined.

The Attempt at a Solution

D = {(x,y): xy>0}

I plugged the function into Wolfram and it gave the result:

D = {(x,y): x2+y ≥ 0 }

I can see how that solution is correct, but isn't mine as well? I'm saying that the product of x and y is greater than 0, which implies neither x nor y = 0, hence the > symbol.

The wolfram solution seems a little less explicit to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your D would be the first and the third quadrant. What is f(-1,-3) according to you ?
Sketch the two answers in the xy plane and see that you include areas that should be excludede and vice versa.

Likes says
f(-1,-3) is in the second quadrant of the domain, and according to my domain it maps to 3.

I've stated that D=(x,y): xy>0.that whatever the x or y values take on in the domain, the output will always be greater than 0.

This is incorrect though. The product of the equation states √(x2+y). The point (-3,1) could not be mapped in the reals because √(32+1) = √-8.

√(x2+y) has to be greater than or equal to 0, therefore x2+y ≥ 0

says said:
Correct. For a point x,y to be in the domain, f(x,y) has to exist. It doesn't have to be > 0. ( [edit] quote added to indicate what precisely is correct. )

says said:
The point (-3,1) could not be mapped in the reals because √(32+1) = √-8.
Oops ! I mentioned the point (1, -3) for which x2 + y = -2 < 0 so (-1,3) is not in D.

The point (-3,1), however, happily resides in D: f(-3,1) = - 3 √8 !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] : added:

says said:
f(-1,-3) is in the second quadrant of the domain

No. f(-1,-3) does not exist.

You seem to think f(x,y) = x,y but it is not.

Furthermore, you seem to mix up domain and range. Check your notes/textbook.

Last edited:
says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I can see how that solution is correct, but isn't mine as well? I'm saying that the product of x and y is greater than 0, which implies neither x nor y = 0, hence the > symbol.

Your solution is not correct.

If y=0, then x can be any number.

If x=0, then y≥0 .

The important issue here is that ##\ \sqrt{x^2+y\,}\ ## gives a real number result so long as ##\ x^2+y\ge0\ ##.

says said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Draw the curve ##C: \:y = -x^2## in the ##(x,y)## plane. For a point ##p =(x,y)## to be in the domain of ##f##, where must ##p## be located in relation to the curve ##C##?

BvU said:
No. f(-1,-3) does not exist.

You seem to think f(x,y) = x,y but it is not.

Furthermore, you seem to mix up domain and range. Check your notes/textbook.

I meant to say that the a point (x,y) is in a quadrant on the xy-plane and a function will either map or not map this point. (i.e. it exists or does not exist.)

Last edited by a moderator:
says said:
I meant to say that the a point (x,y) is in a quadrant on the xy-plane and a function will either map or not map this point. (i.e. it exists or does not exist.)
That's pretty vague, to say "a point (x,y) is in a quadrant on the xy-plane". Also, a point in the x-y plane exists whether or not f maps it to some value.

There's a fair amount of confusion in this thread. The domain is not, as has been mentioned, the first and third quadrants. The domain is ##\{(x, y) | x^2 + y \ge 0\}##. It would be helpful to sketch a graph of the domain, which is a geometric figure you should already know, together with all the interior points of this figure.

says said:
The important thing if for the quantity inside the radical to be >= 0. All you need to say is that ##x^2 + y \ge 0##.

1. What does the domain of function xy>0 represent?

The domain of function xy>0 represents all the possible inputs or values for the variables x and y that will produce a positive output or result.

2. Why is it important to determine the domain of a function?

Determining the domain of a function is important because it helps us understand the set of values that the function is defined for. This allows us to avoid using invalid inputs and ensures that the function is well-defined.

3. How do you find the domain of function xy>0?

To find the domain of function xy>0, we need to consider the restrictions on the variables x and y. In this case, since the function must result in a positive value, both x and y must be either positive or negative. Therefore, the domain can be written as x>0 and y>0 or x<0 and y<0.

4. Can the domain of a function ever be negative?

No, the domain of a function cannot be negative. The domain represents the possible inputs for the function, and negative values are not considered as valid inputs for this particular function.

5. What happens if a value in the domain is excluded or not included in the function?

If a value in the domain is excluded or not included in the function, it means that the function is not defined for that particular input. This can result in an undefined or error output when the function is evaluated with that input.