1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of an inverse function

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
    The function f is defined by f(x) = ln(4 - 2x), x<2, and x is a real number

write down the domain of the inverse.
    I know that the domain of the inverse is the range of the function, but I am puzzled as to what that would be! Would it just be any real number?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

The range of the natural logarithm is -infinity to infinity. That means to say that that would be the range of that function if the range of 4-2x where x<2 is also just any real number. What is the range of 4-2x where x<2?

EDIT: I just realised that the range of 4-2x where x<2 is restricted to positive real numbers.

4. Jun 5, 2008 #3
    The range of 4-2x would be greater than 0.

5. Jun 5, 2008 #4
    Hi, thanks, but im still confused! What would be the range of the function then?

6. Jun 5, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

That would be the range of the natural logarithm, as stated earlier. Do you see why?

7. Jun 5, 2008 #6
    So the range would be any real number? Yes, i see why; it is a logarithm of any number >0, as 4-2x > 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?