Domain of convergence of Puiseux series

In summary, the domain of convergence for a Puiseux series refers to the set of complex numbers for which the series converges. This can be determined by considering the coefficients and applying the ratio or root test. The domain of convergence can extend beyond a circle or disc in the complex plane and can be any open set. The radius of convergence is the maximum distance from the center point at which the series will converge, and the domain of convergence is a subset of the radius. There are special cases where the domain of convergence is the entire complex plane, typically when the series has a zero radius of convergence.
jackmell
May I ask if it's appropriate to ask in this sub-forum, are there any general methods for computing the domain of convergence for Puiseux series representations of algebraic varieties? I'm unable to find anything on the matter.

For example, suppose I'm given the ideal in [itex]\mathbb{C}[z,w][/itex]:

[tex]a_n(z)w^n+\cdots+a_0(z)[/tex]

and I proceed to compute a Puiseux-series representation of (a component of) the variety. Is there nothing I can do to determine (symbolically) the domain of convergence for this series? I'm aware and familiar with Newton-Puiseux's theorem which guarantees the existence of such series but says nothing (quantitative) about computing their region of convergence.

Ok, here's an example: Consider the ideal [itex]f(z,w)=(w-1)(w-2)^2(w-3)^3-z[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{C}[z,w][/itex], prove (or disprove) that a double-valued (analytically-continued) manifold of the variety can be represented by the Puiseux expansion below convergent in the proposed (not proven) region.

[tex]w(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^{n/2},\quad 0\leq|z|<\left|\frac{-587+145\sqrt{13}}{1458}\right|[/tex]

So I'm only conjecturing the region of convergence is as above. Is there a way to prove this rigorously without having a symbolically-computable expression for the coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex]?

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Jack,

Thank you for your question. I can tell you that there are indeed general methods for computing the domain of convergence for Puiseux series representations of algebraic varieties. One such method is known as the Puiseux-Newton algorithm, which is a generalization of Newton's method for finding roots of polynomials. This algorithm can be used to compute the Puiseux series expansion of a given algebraic variety and determine its domain of convergence.

To apply this algorithm, one needs to first transform the given ideal into a monomial ideal, which is a polynomial ideal where all the terms have the same degree. This can be done by multiplying each term with a suitable power of a variable. Then, using the Puiseux-Newton algorithm, one can compute the Puiseux series expansion of the variety with respect to this monomial ideal. The algorithm also provides a criterion for the convergence of the series, which can be used to determine the domain of convergence.

In your example, the given ideal can be transformed into a monomial ideal by multiplying with z^2. Then, using the Puiseux-Newton algorithm, one can compute the Puiseux series expansion of the variety with respect to this monomial ideal, which will yield the desired result. However, it is important to note that in some cases, the algorithm may not be able to provide a symbolic expression for the coefficients a_n, in which case one may need to resort to numerical methods for computing the series.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the definition of "Domain of convergence" for Puiseux series?

The domain of convergence for Puiseux series refers to the set of complex numbers for which the series converges. In other words, it is the set of values for which the series yields a finite sum.

2. How is the domain of convergence determined for a Puiseux series?

The domain of convergence for a Puiseux series can be determined by considering the coefficients of the series and applying the ratio test or the root test. If the limit of the ratio or root of the coefficients is less than 1, then the series will converge for all values within a certain radius around the center point.

3. Can the domain of convergence of a Puiseux series extend beyond a circle or disc in the complex plane?

Yes, the domain of convergence can extend beyond a circle or disc in the complex plane. In fact, the domain of convergence for a Puiseux series can be any open set in the complex plane.

4. What is the relationship between the domain of convergence and the radius of convergence for a Puiseux series?

The radius of convergence for a Puiseux series is the maximum distance from the center point at which the series will converge. The domain of convergence is a subset of the radius of convergence, as it includes all values within the radius that will result in convergence.

5. Are there any special cases where the domain of convergence for a Puiseux series is the entire complex plane?

Yes, there are special cases where the domain of convergence for a Puiseux series is the entire complex plane. This occurs when the series has a zero radius of convergence, meaning that the series converges for all complex numbers. This typically happens when the series has a finite number of terms, or when the coefficients satisfy certain conditions.