Domain of f o g: Finding the Range of Composed Functions

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain of composite functions and inverse functions. For composite functions, the domain is found by considering the restrictions of both functions used in the composite. For inverse functions, the domain is reflected about the line y=x and is determined by the restrictions of the original function. The domain of a composite function f(g(x)) is found by substituting g(x) into f(x) and not simplifying the resulting equation. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the domain of f o g, where the correct answer is [1/2, 1].
rootX

Homework Statement

if
[tex]f\left( x\right) :=\frac{1}{x-1}[/tex]
for f(x) Doman (x != 1)
[tex]g\left( x\right) :=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+1}}[/tex]
for g(x), Domain (x >= -1)

so

for f(g(x))
the Domain would be (-1,0) U (0, inf)?

or do I need to consider other things?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was also wondering in composite functions,
if I find domain after simplifying all the composite function, would that be correct?

Or I need to find domain restrictions for f(x), and then on g(x)...

The domain is in words: all "x" in the domain of g such as the range of g is in the domain of f. And the answer is indeed (-1,0) reunion (0, +infty).

so, do I always need to go that way
find domain of g(x),

and any restrictions would be restrictions for f o g

and then find domain of f(x)
and any restriction on that would be restriction for the range of g(x)..

and then domain of f o g = domain of g U (range of g(x) and domain of f(x))..

or, simply finding domain of f o g from the f of g function - the one I get once I subsitute the g(x) in it?Q2/ for inverse functions why we reflect them about y = x func?

used vectors to the answer to # 2..

first dirc vector between (x,y) and (y,x) is (1,-1)

and thus norm to y =x

and then distance is always same

(x-a)^2 + (y-a)^2 = (y-a)^2 + (x-a)^2!
@@

rootX said:
or, simply finding domain of f o g from the f of g function - the one I get once I subsitute the g(x) in it?

Yes, but don't simplify the equation once you do the substitution... ie: f(g(x)) = [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{x+1}}-1}[/tex]

so looking at this function... what's the domain?

rootX said:
used vectors to the answer to # 2..

first dirc vector between (x,y) and (y,x) is (1,-1)

and thus norm to y =x

and then distance is always same

(x-a)^2 + (y-a)^2 = (y-a)^2 + (x-a)^2!
@@

looks good to me!

I get the same answer, but simplification also gives same domain.

but I think it would be tedious if they ask for the domain of

f(g(h(...k(x)...)))

I also have a relevent/similar question but a bit confusing. We have two functions: f(x) = [tex]\sqrt{1+x}[/tex] and g(x) = [tex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/tex]

We want to find the domain of f o g.

D(f) => 1+x2 [tex]\geq[/tex] -1

D(f) = [-1, [tex]\infty[/tex])

D(g) = R\{1}

Now, the domain of f o g is: D(g) such that the g(x) [tex]\in[/tex] D(f).

=> [tex]\frac{x}{x-1} \geq -1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2x-1}{x-1} \geq 0[/tex]

Two points are 1, [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. Testing between these;

x<1/2 => +ve
1/2<x<1 => -ve
x>1 => +ve

Therefore the domain of f o g must be [tex](-\infty, \frac{1}{2}) [/tex] U [tex](1, \infty) [/tex]

The correct answer has to be: D(f o g) = [1/2, 1]. Can anyone explain this for me please?

Last edited:
Why does the domain "have to be" [1/2, 1]? If x= 3/4, which is in that set, then g(3/4)= (3/4)/(-1/4)= (3/4)(-4)= -3 and f(-3) is not defined. That is essentially the analysis you did. Obviously f(g(x)) is NOT defined at 3/4 and so not defined on [1/2, 1].

Yes, I understand that but I checked the answers at the back of the book and it says D(f o g) = [1/2, 1]! That's what makes me confused.

1. What is the definition of "Domain of f o g"?

The domain of f o g is the set of all input values for which the composition function f o g is defined. It represents the range of numbers or values that can be input into the function to produce a meaningful output.

2. How is the domain of f o g determined?

The domain of f o g is determined by finding the common values in the domains of the individual functions f and g. This means that the input values must be within the domains of both f and g to be included in the domain of f o g.

3. Can the domain of f o g be larger than the individual domains of f and g?

No, the domain of f o g cannot be larger than the individual domains of f and g. It is limited by the common values in the two domains, and any input values outside of this intersection will not produce a valid output.

4. How is the domain affected by the composition of functions?

The domain of f o g is affected by the composition of functions in the sense that it is restricted by the domains of the individual functions. This means that the domain of f o g may be smaller than the domain of either f or g individually.

5. What happens if the domains of f and g do not overlap?

If the domains of f and g do not overlap, then there are no common values and the domain of f o g will be empty. This means that there is no input value that can be used to produce a valid output for the composition function f o g.