1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of identity

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that there is a constant C such that
    [itex]arctan\sqrt{\frac{1-x}{1+x}}[/itex] = C - [itex]\frac{1}{2}arcsinx[/itex] for all x in a certain domain. What is the largest domain on which this identity is true? What is the value of the constant C?

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I know how to prove the initial statement (showing the derivatives are equal which implies they differ by only a constant), but I wanted to verify the largest domain and the value of C.

For the largest domain on which this identity is true I obtained (-1, 1] (since arcsinx is defined on
    [-1, 1], and since -1 is not allowed).

And I believe C can be any real number.

So I'd just like to verify whether or not my interpretation is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    As far as I can tell, your domain is correct.

Am I right in interpreting that you are saying this equation is true for any value of C? If so, that's not true.

To solve for C, pick any value for x in the domain, plug it into the equation, and solve for C.

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    Yeah your right. I made a mistake there. And thanks scurty.

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4
    Edit: Nevermind.

To make this post worthwhile, I suggest x values of 0 or 1 to solve for C.

6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    Yeah I used x=0 and obtained C=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4.

7. Dec 21, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's all correct, but [itex]C[/itex] is uniquely defined by the equation. Just choose a value for [itex]x[/itex], for which you know the values on both sides of the equation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted