Parametrizing a Triangle in 3D Space: What is the Domain of r(u,v)?

In summary, to solve for the limits of u and v in the parameterized plane, you need to draw the uv plane and map points to it using the (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1) values.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

A triangle is defined by the 3 points P=(1,0,0), Q=(0,2,0) and R=(0,0,2).

Set up the double integral over its area.

The Attempt at a Solution

The triangle can be described as a plane 2x+y+z+2=0, with xE [0,1], yE [0,2], zE [0,2].

I parametrized it into r(u,v) =u*PQ+v*PR+P = u[-1,2,0]+v[-1,0,2]+(1,0,0).

But what's the domain of r(u,v)? I think it is uE [0,1-v], vE[0,1], but even if it is I found it using only gut feeling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

A triangle is defined by the 3 points P=(1,0,0), Q=(0,2,0) and R=(0,0,2).

Set up the double integral over its area.

The Attempt at a Solution

The triangle can be described as a plane 2x+y+z+2=0, with xE [0,1], yE [0,2], zE [0,2].

I parametrized it into r(u,v) =u*PQ+v*PR+P = u[-1,2,0]+v[-1,0,2]+(1,0,0).

But what's the domain of r(u,v)? I think it is uE [0,1-v], vE[0,1], but even if it is I found it using only gut feeling.

What you need to do is draw a ##uv## coordinate system. Then mark which ##uv## points are mapped to which points on your plane. For example ##(u,v)=(0,0)## goes to ##(1,0,0)##. Mark also where ##(u,v) = (1,0)## and ##(u,v)=(0,1)## go. This will give you a picture of your ##uv## domain and you will be able to write your double integral limits for ##u## and ##v##.

Could you explain the general strategy in further detail? Why did you pick (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1), for instance? Is it because those are the minimal and maximal values of u and v?

I tried to draw the u,v plane, but I wasn't sure what to do...

Nikitin said:
Could you explain the general strategy in further detail? Why did you pick (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1), for instance? Is it because those are the minimal and maximal values of u and v?

I tried to draw the u,v plane, but I wasn't sure what to do...

Just draw two perpendicular axes and label them u and v instead of x and y.

If you look at your parameterization, r(u,v) =u*PQ+v*PR+P = u[-1,2,0]+v[-1,0,2]+(1,0,0) it is obvious that that those values of u and v give the corners of your triangle. Joining those the points (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1) in the uv plane gives you a picture of the uv domain.

It is just like as if you had written the xyz equation of the plane as z = 2-2x-y and used x and y as your parameters. Then you would have used the domain triangle in the xy plane for your xy limits.

hmm, OK. Thanks

1. What is the domain of a parametric plane?

The domain of a parametric plane is the set of all possible input values for the independent variables in the parametric equations that define the plane. In other words, it is the range of values that the independent variables can take on.

2. How is the domain of a parametric plane different from the domain of a regular function?

The domain of a regular function is typically a set of real numbers, while the domain of a parametric plane includes multiple independent variables and can include non-numerical values, such as vectors or matrices.

3. Can the domain of a parametric plane be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a parametric plane can potentially be infinite, depending on the range of values that the independent variables can take on in the parametric equations. This is often the case in three-dimensional parametric planes.

4. How do you determine the domain of a parametric plane?

The domain of a parametric plane can be determined by examining the parametric equations that define the plane and identifying the range of values that the independent variables can take on without causing any inconsistencies or undefined results.

5. What is the significance of the domain in a parametric plane?

The domain of a parametric plane is important because it defines the set of all possible inputs for the equations that define the plane. It allows us to specify the range of values that we are interested in studying and helps us to avoid any mathematical errors or inconsistencies.