1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of parametric plane

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A triangle is defined by the 3 points P=(1,0,0), Q=(0,2,0) and R=(0,0,2).

Set up the double integral over its area.

3. The attempt at a solution

The triangle can be described as a plane 2x+y+z+2=0, with xE [0,1], yE [0,2], zE [0,2].

I parametrized it into r(u,v) =u*PQ+v*PR+P = u[-1,2,0]+v[-1,0,2]+(1,0,0).

But what's the domain of r(u,v)? I think it is uE [0,1-v], vE[0,1], but even if it is I found it using only gut feeling.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you need to do is draw a ##uv## coordinate system. Then mark which ##uv## points are mapped to which points on your plane. For example ##(u,v)=(0,0)## goes to ##(1,0,0)##. Mark also where ##(u,v) = (1,0)## and ##(u,v)=(0,1)## go. This will give you a picture of your ##uv## domain and you will be able to write your double integral limits for ##u## and ##v##.

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    Could you explain the general strategy in further detail? Why did you pick (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1), for instance? Is it because those are the minimal and maximal values of u and v?

I tried to draw the u,v plane, but I wasn't sure what to do...

5. May 13, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just draw two perpendicular axes and label them u and v instead of x and y.

If you look at your parameterization, r(u,v) =u*PQ+v*PR+P = u[-1,2,0]+v[-1,0,2]+(1,0,0) it is obvious that that those values of u and v give the corners of your triangle. Joining those the points (u,v) = (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1) in the uv plane gives you a picture of the uv domain.

It is just like as if you had written the xyz equation of the plane as z = 2-2x-y and used x and y as your parameters. Then you would have used the domain triangle in the xy plane for your xy limits.

6. May 13, 2013 #5
    hmm, OK. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted