What is the domain of the rational function f(x) = 2/(x - 3)?

In summary, the domain of the function f(x) = 2/(x-3) is all real numbers except for x = 3. When the denominator of a rational function is equal to 0, it creates a vertical asymptote at the corresponding value of x. When both the numerator and denominator are equal to 0, it creates a point discontinuity, also known as a hole, in the graph of the function. This type of hole is called a point discontinuity.
mathdad
Find the domain of
f(x) = 2/(x - 3).

1. Are we looking for the domain of f or f(x)?

2. Solution

Set x - 3 = 0 and solve for x.

x - 3 = 0

x - 3 + 3 = 3

x = 3

Let D = domain

D = ALL REAL NUMBERS except for x = 3.

Yes?

P.S. Does x = 3 mean there is a hole at the point (3, 0) for this function? If so, what is the name of the hole? Asymptote?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Domain is the input or f(a number). OR the X-axis on the graph
Range is the output or f(x)=a number OR the Y-axis on the graph
Let's say your given the point (1,2)
f(1) would be input
f(x)=2 the outputAs for the second question I thought it would include 3 or 3 would be the endpoint. I'm not positive about that.

rootbarb said:
Domain is the input or f(a number). OR the X-axis on the graph
Range is the output or f(x)=a number OR the Y-axis on the graph
Let's say your given the point (1,2)
f(1) would be input
f(x)=2 the outputAs for the second question I thought it would include 3 or 3 would be the endpoint. I'm not positive about that.

Is my answer correct?

RTCNTC said:
Is my answer correct?

yes it is correct

I will post more rational function problems when I get to that particular chapter.

- - - Updated - - -

kaliprasad said:
yes it is correct

Does x = 3 for this question mean there is a hole at the point
(3, 0)? If so, what is the name of the hole? Asymptote?

RTCNTC said:
I will post more rational function problems when I get to that particular chapter.

- - - Updated - - -
Does x = 3 for this question mean there is a hole at the point
(3, 0)? If so, what is the name of the hole? Asymptote?

x =3 is vetical asymtote but it is not a hole as x = 3 denomiator is zero but numerator is not

it is a hole when numerator is zero as well.

kaliprasad said:
x =3 is vetical asymtote but it is not a hole as x = 3 denomiator is zero but numerator is not

it is a hole when numerator is zero as well.

Let A = a number

Are you saying that A/0 is a vertical asymptote?

Are you also saying that 0/A is a hole in the graph of the function?

RTCNTC said:
Let A = a non-zero number

Are you saying that A/0 is a vertical asymptote? the value of x that makes the denominator = 0 and the numerator not equal to 0 is the location of a vertical asymptote.

Are you also saying that 0/A is a hole in the graph of the function? the value of x that makes both the denominator and numerator = 0 is the location of a point discontinuity.

consider $f(x) = \dfrac{x(x+1)(x-2)}{(x-1)(x-2)}$

$f(x)$ has vertical asymptote $x=1$ and a point discontinuity ("hole") at $x=2$.

(Non-zero number)/0 = vertical asymptote

(number that makes top zero)/(number that makes bottom zero) = hole in the graph of the function at a point (x, y).

That HOLE is called a POINT DISCONTINUITY.

TRUE?

1. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is the set of all real numbers for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all values that can be input into the function without causing an undefined result.

2. How do you determine the domain of a rational function?

To determine the domain of a rational function, you must identify any values that would cause the function to be undefined. These values include any numbers that would result in division by zero, as well as any values that would make the function's denominator equal to zero.

3. Can the domain of a rational function be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, the domain of a rational function can include negative or complex numbers. As long as these values are defined and do not result in division by zero, they can be part of the domain.

4. How does the domain of a rational function relate to its graph?

The domain of a rational function determines the range of values that can be plotted on the x-axis of its graph. Any values outside of the domain cannot be plotted on the graph.

5. Are there any restrictions on the domain of a rational function?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the domain of a rational function. As mentioned earlier, the function cannot have a denominator of zero. Additionally, the domain may be restricted by any other conditions or restrictions given in the function's equation or context.