1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of the function

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    Find the range of the equation.

f(x)=x²+4

Things I know for sure:
    x²>=0

We are brushing up on functions and interval notation in my calc class, and I can't remember how to do this in interval notation. If x is a number being squared it has to be positive or zero. So at the minimum the answer is going to be:
    f(x)=0+3

f(x)=3

So the interval notation would be what? Quick little explanation would help as well. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The domain of the function is all the possible inputs for your function. You seem to be looking at the range

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    You're right, that's what I meant. Good call. But what about interval notation?

5. Oct 8, 2009 #4
    Careful, I think you're confusing domain and range.

The range is [4,inf), the domain is (-inf,inf).

Basically the domain is a set of numbers that x can satisfy. For example g(x) = 1/x the domain is (-inf,0)U(0,inf) because g(x) is not defined at x=0.

The range is a set of numbers that your function can have as a value for a given domain of values. For example h(x) = x^2 has a range of [0,inf) since the minimum value of h(x) is 0 and the function will extend to infinity.

If a number is exclusive we use parenthesis, and if a number is inclusive we use brackets. So in the case of the domain of g(x) = 1/x, x cannot equal zero but it can approach the value of 0 so 0 is exclusive. Negative and positive infinity are always exclusive since they are not actual values. Therefore (-inf,0) is in parenthesis on both sides. But that's not the entire domain! We can have x>0 so we need to include that too. We write include (or union) with a capitol U so the answer is (-inf,0)U(0,inf).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. Oct 8, 2009 #5
    Great, that helps a lot. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook