1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain range intervals; please help if you can

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. Can someon help me understand the difference between these two problems?
    #1: f(x)+3
    #2: f(x+3)

The reason I want to know if becuase my question tells me to use the domain of f(x) as [4, 8] and the range as [2, 6]
    Then it wants to know the domain and range of both of those problems.

My first question here is that I got [1, 5] as the domain, but I don't know if that pertains to the first or second problem. If it pertains to either of them, how do I do the other problem? Also, how do I find the range of both of these problems? Would it be [-1, 3] and again, for the first or second problem? I'm guessing both of my answers would go with the first, but yet again, I am not sure.[/quote]
    How did you "get" [1, 5] as domain and [-1, 3] as range without know which problem you were working on? In #1, you must calculate f(x) and then add 3. You are told that you can only calculate f(x) for x in [4, 8] so the domain should be obvious. If f(x) gives values between 2 and 6 what values are f(x)+ 3?

If f(u) can be calculated for u in [4, 8] and u= x+ 3, what can x be? Which problem is that for? Well, the domain applies to the value inside parentheses in f() so which has x+3 inside the parentheses? Anything that is inside the parentheses- before you calculate f- affects the domain, anything outside affects the range.

If your knowledge allows you, can you asist me in this problem? I keep looking at it and just can't seem to figure it out. Please help.

Thanks in advance -Name_ask17

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're given a function f which maps values in the domain [4, 8] to values in the range [2, 6]. That means any value you plug into f has to be between 4 and 8, and the value you get out of f will be somewhere between 2 and 6.

For example, if you had f(x2), what you'd know is that x2 has to be between 4 and 8. If you have f(y+10), then y+10 has to be between 4 and 8, which means y has to be between -6 and -2. Whatever is between the parentheses has to be between 4 and 8.

Now look at the first function. Let's call it g(x). You have g(x) = f(x)+3. What values of x can you plug into g so that what gets plugged into f is between 4 and 8? Those values make up the domain of g.

Similarly, you have h(x) = f(x+3). What values of x can you plug into h so that what gets plugged into f is between 4 and 8?

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    what is the difference between f(x) + 3 and f(x+3)?

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4
    Let's assume f(x)= 2x. For f(x)+3, we plug in 2x for f(x) so it would be 2x+3. However, when it comes to f(x+3) you take what is inside the parenthesis and put it where the x is. So it would look like this f(x+3)=2(x+3). Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook