Understanding the Safety of Domestic Shaver Sockets: Explained

• Thread starter Adz
  • Start date
In summary: IIn summary, the razor only outlet is designed to prevent electric shock by being isolated from ground.
Adz
I was told that a shaver socket has an inbuilt isolating transformer to prevent electric shock. But surely if someone touched Live and Neutral at the same time, at the socket outlet, they would get a shock? Can someone explain... thanks..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Receptacles located in bathrooms, such as a shaver might be plugged into, should have GFCI capability. You might see a push to test and reset button on the receptacle. Or the breaker supplying the receptacle might be GFCI. GFCI means ground fault circuit interrupting. If the GFCI device detects current leaking to ground it opens the circuit stopping the current flow.
You could still kill yourself getting between the two legs of the supply. But if current were flowing through you to ground the GFCI would trip.

I believe that Adz is referring to the original 'razor only' sockets which were the only ones allowed in bathrooms up until a couple of decades ago. A quick Google brought up this explanation.
jkogel
Active Poster

Re: Razor only outlets
Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nicholet
Thanks, I think it would be good idea to recommend replacement with GFI. But, how does this 'razor only' low volt transformer outlet prevent a shock hazard by being isolated from ground? I would think it would increase shock hazard if there is no ground.

Mark, the isolation transformer consists of 2 coils insulated from each other. 120 volts from the household circuit running thru 1 coil produces 120 volts in the secondary coil. You could still shock yourself by touching both of the output terminals. But there is no electrical potential between one of the output terminals and ground, as there is with conventional wiring because it is a little isolated mini-circuit. Drop it in the tub, theoretically no shock!

As for the lack of ground, most razors and hair dryers are 2-prong devices anyways, no ground wire to the chassis, but the plastic body provides insulation.

I'm not sure if it's legitimate to quote someone from another forum without permission, so this might get deleted.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. I have never seen one.

cheers thats, that's exactly what i was thinking.

Adz said:
I was told that a shaver socket has an inbuilt isolating transformer to prevent electric shock. But surely if someone touched Live and Neutral at the same time, at the socket outlet, they would get a shock? Can someone explain... thanks..

The isolation transformer electrically decouples the circuit. Essentially, the ground that the utility company provides (at the pole or pad transformer) does not get passed across the transformer (hence the name). Thus one cannot receive an electrical shock from touching only the hot wire will grounded to the earth. However, if one completes the circuit by touching the hot and the return wire then one will indeed receive an electrical shock.

CS

1. What is a domestic shaver socket?

A domestic shaver socket is an electrical outlet specifically designed for use with electric shavers and other low-power bathroom appliances. It often has a transformer built in to reduce the voltage to a safe level for these devices.

2. How is a domestic shaver socket different from a regular outlet?

Unlike a regular outlet, a domestic shaver socket has a lower voltage output and is designed to be used in wet environments like bathrooms. It also has special safety features, such as an isolation transformer, to prevent electrical shocks.

3. Can I use a domestic shaver socket for other appliances?

No, a domestic shaver socket is not designed for high-power appliances and is only meant for low-power devices like electric shavers and toothbrushes. Using it for other appliances can cause damage to the socket and pose a safety hazard.

4. How do I install a domestic shaver socket?

It is recommended to hire a qualified electrician to install a domestic shaver socket. It requires wiring and proper installation to ensure safety and functionality. Attempting to install it yourself can be dangerous and may not comply with electrical codes.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a domestic shaver socket?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a domestic shaver socket. Do not use it with wet hands or in wet environments, as it can cause electrical shocks. Do not overload the socket with multiple devices and always unplug the device when not in use.