Can BLDC Technology Solve Voltage Fluctuation Issues for Domestic Water Pumps?

In summary, the speaker has been using an unregistered account on PF to read and learn but has now registered to seek help with a recurring issue with their building's 1 HP bore water motor. The electrician has attributed the problem to wide fluctuations in voltage. The speaker is wondering if there is a DC version of domestic water pumps, similar to their experience with BLDC fans, that can handle voltage fluctuations. They are also considering a voltage regulating transformer for the entire building.
Udaya Bhaskar
Hi there,

I have spent quite some time on PF as an unregistered user reading through various stuff and have learned a lot. Just registered now to seek help on something that's been bothering me a lot and to which I haven't managed to find a solution yet.

Please let me know if this is not the right place to ask this question.

OK so the 1 HP bore water motor (I guess monoblock?) in our building has gone under the knife many times over the last couple of years and every time the electrician's explanations point to the same thing - wide fluctuations in voltage. Sometimes the motor doesn't even start because the voltage is too low.

Is there such a thing as a DC version of domestic water pumps? I ask this because I recently replaced my regular ceiling fans with BLDC fans that run at full speed without letting the variations in input AC voltage bother them and found them to be great. This got me thinking if the same thing can be applied to water pumps as well.

Is this even possible? If not, is there any other solution to the problem?

Thanks a bunch,
Uday

Engineering news on Phys.org
BLDC is Brush Less Direct Current Yes, water pumps can be driven by switching power supplies. To get equivalent power from lower voltage, the load will be higher and requiring the bore wiring replaced. Perhaps a voltage regulating (e. g., Scott-T) transformer supplying the whole building and being amortized by all the users, cheaper for an individual.

1. How does a 1 HP domestic water pump work?

A 1 HP domestic water pump uses an electric motor to drive a centrifugal pump, which creates suction to draw water from a source (such as a well or reservoir) and then propels it through pipes to the desired location.

2. What is the average lifespan of a 1 HP domestic water pump?

The average lifespan of a 1 HP domestic water pump is around 10-15 years, but this can vary depending on usage, maintenance, and other factors.

3. How do I choose the right size of 1 HP domestic water pump for my home?

The size of the 1 HP domestic water pump you need will depend on factors such as the size of your home, the number of bathrooms and fixtures, and the distance the water needs to be pumped. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific needs.

4. Can a 1 HP domestic water pump be used for more than just household water?

Yes, a 1 HP domestic water pump can also be used for irrigation, filling pools or hot tubs, and other outdoor water needs. However, it is important to make sure the pump is designed for the specific use and can handle the required flow rate and pressure.

5. How often should a 1 HP domestic water pump be serviced?

A 1 HP domestic water pump should be serviced at least once a year to ensure it is working properly and to catch any potential issues early on. However, if you notice any changes in performance or unusual noises, it is recommended to have the pump serviced sooner.