1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domino drop graph?

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing an experiment on the relationship between the time it takes for a line of dominos to drop and the constant distance between each domino. I plan to try different distances to get different times, but I don't know what my graph should look like, nor do I know if a point should be placed on the y-axis, since you can't really have 0 distance between the dominos and expect accurate results. If someone could give me some pointers on what a graph should look like in this instance, that'd be great.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure if I need any.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Judging by the fact that you can't really expect the dominos to drop if there's no distance between them (as it'd be one packed line) I assume that I just shouldn't put a point on the y-axis and should, instead, start my experiement with 2 centimeters displacement between each domino or so. When I make my graph, I'd have a line segment beginning at that point instead of having it start when x=0.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Well if you plot the time taken vs the number of dominos fallen, then I think you'll essentially be plotting a sort of cumulative distribution function type graph.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook