Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Domino drop graph?

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing an experiment on the relationship between the time it takes for a line of dominos to drop and the constant distance between each domino. I plan to try different distances to get different times, but I don't know what my graph should look like, nor do I know if a point should be placed on the y-axis, since you can't really have 0 distance between the dominos and expect accurate results. If someone could give me some pointers on what a graph should look like in this instance, that'd be great.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure if I need any.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Judging by the fact that you can't really expect the dominos to drop if there's no distance between them (as it'd be one packed line) I assume that I just shouldn't put a point on the y-axis and should, instead, start my experiement with 2 centimeters displacement between each domino or so. When I make my graph, I'd have a line segment beginning at that point instead of having it start when x=0.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well if you plot the time taken vs the number of dominos fallen, then I think you'll essentially be plotting a sort of cumulative distribution function type graph.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook