Calculating the Force to Knock Over a Domino

• Thread starter Dt2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum force needed to knock over a domino with given dimensions and how to calculate it. The suggested methods include using the torque formula, determining the force experimentally or theoretically, and using angular impulse and work. The conversation also mentions taking into account the domino's weight and optimizing variables to find the minimum force. Ultimately, the force needed to just tip the domino is discussed as a starting point for further calculations.
Dt2000

Homework Statement

I have dominoes of dimension 4.9 × 2.3 × 0.9cm and I want to know the minimum force it will take to knock it over and if there is an equation to calculate its speed and force

Homework Equations

I have attempted to use the torque formula but this was not successful as I did not know the torque force so i could substitute see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque= F×4.9×sin 9.2726

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you intend doing?
Determine it experimentally or calculate it or both?

andrevdh said:
What do you intend doing?
Determine it experimentally or calculate it or both?
To calculate it

If you interest is totally theoretically you may try looking at angular impulse:
http://labman.phys.utk.edu/phys135/modules/m8/angular.htm
problem is its weight will also come into play once it starts toppling.
Maybe one can calculate the amount by which its potential energy needs to be raised
to lift its centre of mass to the top of the arc?

andrevdh has addressed angular impulse and work, but the question says 'force', so I'll answer that.
Draw a free body diagram of the standing domino. First you must decide where you are applying the force and at what angle to the horizontal. If you don't care about one or both of those, then I guess you wish to optimise that / those variables to find the minimum force. In that case, put in unknowns for the variables that can be optimised.
Next it is a simple statics question: what force is needed to just tip the domino so that it is only touching the ground along one edge. You should be able to see that from this point on the force needed will diminish.

1. How do you calculate the force needed to knock over a domino?

The force needed to knock over a domino can be calculated using the formula: Force = mass x acceleration. The mass of the domino and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) are the key factors in determining the force required.

2. What is the mass of a standard domino?

A standard domino has a mass of approximately 8 grams.

3. How do you measure the acceleration of a falling domino?

The acceleration of a falling domino can be measured using a device called an accelerometer. This device measures the rate at which the domino is changing its velocity.

4. Does the distance between dominoes affect the force needed to knock them over?

Yes, the distance between dominoes can affect the force needed to knock them over. The farther apart the dominoes are, the more force is needed to overcome the increasing friction and air resistance.

5. Can the shape or weight of a domino affect the required force to knock it over?

Yes, the shape and weight of a domino can affect the required force to knock it over. A heavier or wider domino will require more force to overcome its inertia and knock it over. Similarly, a domino with a pointed shape may require less force due to its smaller surface area making it easier to tip over.