Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Donald Trump Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    Personally, I think this is aweful, but I wanted to open up a thread on this to see what others think.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Link? This has to be a bad joke. :olduhh:

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3
    :biggrin: Yes that is...

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4
  6. Feb 3, 2016 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Feb 3, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh come on. Nomination doesn't mean anything. Even Hitler was nominated for a the peace prize once. It doesn't mean a thing.

Obama actually winning the Nobel peace prize though, THAT is awful...

8. Feb 3, 2016 #7

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not as bad as Arafat (peace, 1994) or Egas Moniz (medicine, 1949).

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is an obvious fluke. In particular the fact that they quote a member of the Norwegian peace institute. As all other Nobel prizes, nominations are kept secret for 50 years and I have a very difficult time imagining anyone involved would break this secrecy.

Sure, someone might spill the beans on who they nominated, but that is a different thing. Also, anyone can be nominated, but I strongly doubt I would get the physics prize even if I got a nomination.

10. Feb 20, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd rather see you get the Physics prize than Trump the Peace prize!

11. Feb 20, 2016 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Me too!

12. Feb 20, 2016 #11
    It was nothing compared with the Kissenger Peace Prize. Henry has a much higher body count to his name.

This led Tom Lehrer to quip that the award "made political satire obsolete." Further incensing the situation, North Vietnam's Le Duc Tho, who was jointly awarded the prize, declined his half of the spoils on the grounds that he didn't want to share the award with the realpolitik ringmaster. -- Time Magazine

I also recall Time Magazine enthusiastically boosting W for the Peace Prize. Maybe they were using the Peace Through Superior Firepower trope.

13. Feb 20, 2016 #12
    I personally found it ridiculous the US president Obama received this prize in the first place. The world is a far more violent place due to his policies (or lack of). At least from what WE are told.

edit: from the posts above it seems this prize should not be taken very seriously xD

14. Feb 20, 2016 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

People from national assemblies or legislative bodies, heads of state, former prize winners, can nominate. A single nomination doesn't mean much.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

Obama's award was bad enough, Trump's nomination is worse.

15. Mar 24, 2016 #14
    Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize. The sanctity of the award died then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted