Donate to Wikipedia: Keep it Ad-Free!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of keeping Wikipedia free of advertisements and the willingness of individuals to donate to support this cause, even if it is just a small amount. It also mentions the idea that those who are less well off tend to contribute more compared to the wealthy.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think it is important to keep wikipida as is , who wants it to be a place for advertisements, i for one have given a donation to keep it as is, so why not give the price of a cup of coffee,

Physics news on Phys.org
I normally donate to wikipedia as well.. Not much though (5 or 10usd), since I'm a student and we're pretty poor, so the legend says.

mkay said:
I normally donate to wikipedia as well.. Not much though (5 or 10usd), since I'm a student and we're pretty poor, so the legend says.

It is usually the less well off that contributes to these things, the rich keep their money in their pockets:rolleyes:..

I donate - just few bucks - every year.

I donated $20 a couple of years ago and will like do it again.

1. How does donating to Wikipedia help keep it ad-free?

Donating to Wikipedia helps to cover the costs of running the website, such as server and hosting fees, as well as paying the salaries of the small staff. With enough donations, Wikipedia does not need to rely on advertisements to generate revenue, allowing for an ad-free experience for users.

2. Is donating to Wikipedia tax deductible?

Yes, donations made to the Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, are tax-deductible for US taxpayers. However, it is always best to consult with a tax professional for specific questions about deductions.

3. Can I choose how my donation is used?

Yes, you can choose to designate your donation for a specific purpose, such as keeping Wikipedia ad-free. The Wikimedia Foundation also has other initiatives, such as expanding access to Wikipedia in developing countries, that you can choose to support.

4. How much should I donate?

The amount you choose to donate is entirely up to you. Every donation, big or small, helps to support Wikipedia and keep it ad-free. You can also choose to make a recurring monthly donation to provide ongoing support.

5. Is donating to Wikipedia safe?

Yes, donating to Wikipedia is safe. The Wikimedia Foundation uses secure donation processing systems and does not store any credit card or personal information. You can also choose to donate anonymously if you prefer.