Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Donnie Darko

1. Sep 14, 2003 #1
    Have any of you seen the movie "Donnie Darko"? What do you think about it. I know it doesn't handle time travel and the roll of fate and alternate universes in the most 100% scientific way possible, but I find it very interesting. In fact, it's become one of my favorite movies.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2003 #2
    i love that movie and i'd highly recommend it to anyone.

i do like the fact that no one postulated (within the movie) that the experiences were at all spiritual in nature; that term seems to be a cop out to scientists seeing concrete explanations. indeed, perhaps everything will have a concrete explanation one day. that would appeal to the mathematican in me.

i see some similarities between donnie and myself at times. if i could just find my own dr. carter as a physics teacher, i'd be happy. i am happy about never seeing anything like frank, though i have seen some things...

in some ways it reminds me of dr. nash and his breaks with reality as most people see it. apparently when nash went to einstein to revise relativity, einstein told nash to learn some more physics...

cheers,
    phoenix

4. Sep 28, 2003 #3
    I know what you mean. After seeing that movie, as much as I'd like to not admit it, I start to relate it to my life sometimes. The Donnie/Frank dichotomy and stuff. Very good.

5. Nov 7, 2003 #4
    I saw that movie and I really liked it. I need to see it again to understand it better.
    Can any of you explain in detail behind the funnel coming out of his stomach. I didn't understand how that would be possible.

6. Nov 9, 2003 #5
    i think the funnel indicated where one was desiring to go or in donnie's case, where he didn't know he wanted to go.

7. Nov 26, 2003 #6
    i think in donnie darko the funnels were indeed workers as mentioned in the movie and that they were assigned to every person to direct them on the correct paths but early in the time of man we became caught up in what is "real" and we lost sight due to our thoughts which goes with the theory that thoughts rule reality not reality itself.

8. Dec 2, 2003 #7
    Donnie Darko was not a bad movie,
    but it was lousy from the perspective of time
    travel, since it was not even supposed to
    be a time travel movie.
    The director of Donnie Darko in one of the
    interviews said that everything that
    happened in the movie was just imagined
    by Donnie right before he died in his bed.

If you want truly coherent time travel
    movie, cite "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" (even though
    it's silly), and "Twelve Monkeys".
    Time Machine, Terminator, Donnie Darko, they just
    dont work.

Whoever is trying to give more sense to
    the Donnie Darko movie is trying to assert
    something that was never there.

9. Dec 7, 2003 #8
    Actuallu ambient, the original Terminator film(not the last two) had a pretty good interpretation of time travel if it's possible: you can't change it, but reinforce it.

10. Dec 11, 2003 #9
    You are right chronus,
    the Terminator's continuity was ruined by the sequels.

THe first Terminator movie had it perfectly right.

11. Dec 31, 2003 #10

Is your source on that reliable?
    Because that's not what actually happens at all.
    If you want to understand, read 'The Philosophy of Time Travel'
    It's not a real book, but it's on the DVD, and you can find copies of it on the 'Net, just run up a Google search for it...

Basically, everything that occurs in the movie takes place in the so-called 'Tangent Universe', and Donnie is the 'Living Reciever'.
    But if you want that to make sense you'll have to read the book.

Well, toodles, people!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?