Donoghue's critique of asymptotic safety

In summary, the paper raises questions about whether the current practice of Asymptotic Safety in gravity meets the Weinberg condition and if the running of Λ and G is realized in the real world. The author argues that the running is not realized with examples and suggests that a Lorentzian version of the theory may solve these problems. There are also points in favor of asymptotic safety's significance and viability, such as the prediction of the Higgs boson mass and successfully dealing with counterterms. However, even Weinberg himself has expressed doubts about its likelihood.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.02967John F. Donoghue
(Submitted on 7 Nov 2019)
The present practice of Asymptotic Safety in gravity is in conflict with explicit calculations in low energy quantum gravity. This raises the question of whether the present practice meets the Weinberg condition for Asymptotic Safety. I argue, with examples, that the running of Λ and G found in Asymptotic Safety are not realized in the real world, with reasons which are relatively simple to understand. A comparison/contrast with quadratic gravity is also given, which suggests a few obstacles that must be overcome before the Lorentzian version of the theory is well behaved. I make a suggestion on how a Lorentzian version of Asymptotic Safety could potentially solve these problems.

I have not read this paper yet, but Lubos Motl blogs about it here: "A serious critique of the real-world Asymptotic Safety program for quantum gravity".

The points I would list in favor of asymptotic safety's significance and viability, may be found in this Physics Stack Exchange question-and-answer: the prediction of the Higgs boson mass, successfully dealing with the Goroff-Sagnotti two-loop counterterm, and a recent paper exploring asymptotic safety as a Planck-scale regime between field theory and string theory.

Likes Demystifier and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Even Weinberg, who first proposed the idea, wrote somewhere (I cannot recall where) that asymptotic safety of gravity is a logical possibility, but not a very likely possibility.