Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't dial 666

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apologies for posting a religous story - but it's really human nature or cryptography.
    A town in the USA has managed to have it's phone code changed from 666
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7163767.stm

Ironically this comes after the discovery that 666 is a typo and it should be 616 - it wouldbe beautifully ironic if the town's code was changed to 616!
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0425_050425_papyrus.html

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, it says that the newly readable documents indicate that "the beast" has the number 616, but that doesn't make it the gospel truth. :tongue2:

4. Dec 29, 2007 #3
    Ah, the poverty of numerology.

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Dead Sea scrolls suggest that the beast was Nero. It also turns out that this bit about 616 was already known.

http://www.theology.edu/revappen.htm

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder who will get that number next? Or will nobody get it? I think that would be a fun exchange to have...at least nobody is going to forget it.

7. Dec 29, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whats all the fuss over a number? :confused:

8. Dec 29, 2007 #7

Actually the number 616 has appeared in other versions of the Book of Revelation recovered before 2005. I have a Bible translation which was made in 2001, which makes note of this. But it would still be pretty funny!

I suppose you've got to do this to appease the superstitious folks, if nothing else. For the same reason, many buildings don't have a thirteenth floor.

9. Dec 29, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering that there's 4 more numbers following it, it seems mostly like a bunch of silliness. I'd want to have a number like that that's so easy to remember.

10. Dec 29, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My phone number is fairly memorable in a similar way but I tend to find that we get more wrong numbers because its similar to business' phone numbers. You'd never be lonely though, there'd always be some nut case asking for the devil.

"Hello, is that Satan?"

"Sorry you want 616 you have the wrong number."

11. Dec 29, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get wrong numbers anyway. I must have a similar number to one of the local pet stores, because I seem to get a lot of wrong numbers for them. At least I could have fun with the wrong numbers if they were calling asking for the devil. :biggrin: :devil:

12. Dec 29, 2007 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You Moonbear? Never :surprised

13. Dec 29, 2007 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl:

14. Dec 29, 2007 #13

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For my vote it should go to Hell, Michigan:
    http://www.hell2u.com/

15. Dec 29, 2007 #14
    Oh I go there often. Great brunches at the DamnSight Inn.

16. Dec 30, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got stuck in Hell once. Well, not stuck, but lost on the backroads at night and kept winding up in front of the Inferno (was that the bar, or a shop? I can't recall). It did have me laughing pretty hard (fortunately, I wasn't alone and while it was night, it wasn't terribly late yet, so it was more funny than worrisome that we kept going in circles).

I still want to know what good Catholics living in Hell tell their kids when they're bad. When I was a kid, we were told we'd go to Hell if we were bad, but if you already live in Hell, I've always wondered what you say to your kids? "You'll be stuck living in Hell the rest of your life if you are bad"...maybe...that could be scary. :biggrin: :rofl: But, yeah, I think that town would embrace that exchange...good call. :wink:

17. Dec 30, 2007 #16
    The kids are told they will go to Detroit. Everyone knows Detroit is worse then Hell.

18. Dec 31, 2007 #17
    Yeah, there was a flare-up a few years back out here over Highway 666, so they changed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?