Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't I help enough ?

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Don't I help enough :( ?

It seems that I toil away in the Homework help section, at least half my post count is from there, yet I can never seem to attain a Homework Helper Medal!! Can anyone give me some tips about how to more effectively help in the help section? Because I see people with 300 posts with a helper medal, they are obviously doing something Im not!

Help me help them!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hang on Gib Z, someone more familiar with your posting history should chime in soon.

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Gib, although I don't spend much time in the Calc forums from what I've seen your post are generally of a very high quality and you have been making a significant contribution. However, that said I may not be seeing the whole picture; either way I don't think this is best discussed in the open forum, I would recommend that you PM either Integral, Hurkyl or HallsofIvy and take it up privately. In the meantime, I'll mention this in the HH forum and see what the consensus is.

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, we are a little behind in reviewing the helper nominations. Please be patient.

6. Oct 14, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We do have a number of members that are really deserving of medals that haven't received them yet. Hopefully, this will be rectified soon.

It never hurts to ask, we've been surprised more than once that a member we thought had received a ribbon, in fact did not.

Also, if someone with ribbons notices another deserving member, please bring it to our attention.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  7. Nov 24, 2007 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Stumbling on to this, I'm a bit puzzled, because in the first post by Gib Z, the medal of homework helper is there. Has he been given it since he posted it?

Also, I had been a bit curious as to how different people get the various recognitions.

8. Nov 24, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GibZ was awarded the Homework Helper medal after the thread was started. Normally people are nominated for recognitions by Mentors and other homework helpers and science advisors when they have been recognised as providing quality posts in a particular area.

9. Nov 25, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quantity is also a significant factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?