What is the chemical equation for titrating ASA and sodium hydroxide?

• Thread starter Icyknuckle
  • Start date
In summary, when approaching a problem, it is important to break it down into smaller parts, gather information, and seek help if needed. Staying motivated and learning from mistakes are also key in problem-solving. Finally, testing and verifying your solution is crucial to ensuring it solves the problem correctly.
Icyknuckle
Titration chemical equation

Ok so the equation is for a titration of sodium hydroxide and ASA(asprin) I believe the chemical formula of asprin to be C9H8O4 and sodium hydroxide is
NaOH. so the formula goes C9H8O4 + NaOH --> ?
If someone knows the rest of the formula it would be a great he

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ASA (acetylsalicylic acid) is an aromatic carboxylic acid. The carboxylic acid is titrated with NaOH in your example. Remove a proton from the formula (C9H8O4) and replace it with a sodium to show the product.

pl to me

The complete balanced equation for the titration of ASA and sodium hydroxide would be:

C9H8O4 + 2NaOH → NaC9H7O4 + H2O

This reaction produces sodium acetylsalicylate (NaC9H7O4) and water (H2O) as the products. In this reaction, the sodium hydroxide (NaOH) acts as a base, neutralizing the acidic ASA (C9H8O4) to form a salt (NaC9H7O4) and water. This type of reaction is known as an acid-base titration, where a base is added to an acid in order to determine the concentration of the acid.

1. How do I approach a problem when I don't know how to do it?

The first step is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, research and gather information about each part. You can also try brainstorming or talking to others for ideas on how to approach the problem.

2. What if I don't have the necessary skills or knowledge to solve the problem?

Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources. Look for tutorials, online forums, or ask a colleague or mentor for guidance. It's also important to continuously learn and improve your skills to tackle new challenges.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

First, remind yourself why the problem is important and how solving it will benefit you or others. Break the problem into smaller tasks and celebrate each small victory. Also, take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and refocus.

4. What if I make a mistake or get stuck?

Mistakes and challenges are a natural part of problem-solving. Don't be discouraged, instead, try to learn from your mistake and keep moving forward. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or asking for feedback from others.

5. How do I know if I've solved the problem correctly?

It's important to test your solution and verify that it solves the problem correctly. You can do this by using different methods, checking your work, or asking for feedback from others. If your solution doesn't work, don't give up, go back to the drawing board and try again.