Improving Integration Accuracy with Simpson's Rule

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the degree of precision of the formula for \int_{-1}^{1} f(x)dx~\frac{4}{3}f(-0.5)-\frac{2}{3}f(0)+\frac{4}{3}f(0.5) is that this formula is exact for polynomials of grade \leqslant 2.
fluidistic
Gold Member
The question is : Determine the degree of precision of the formula for [tex]\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)dx[/tex]~[tex]\frac{4}{3}f(-0.5)-\frac{2}{3}f(0)+\frac{4}{3}f(0.5)[/tex].
My guess is that I must answer like "the degree of precision is that this formula is exact for polynomials of grade [tex]\leqslant[/tex] 2", for example.
My attempt are just thoughts... Can't start. Watching the coefficients in the right side of the "approximation", it is similar to the Simpson's rule.
Please help me telling me how can I start. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is exact for degree of polynomial<=2. To check this put f(x)=ax^2+bx+c. I'll give you a hint. It's also exact for cubics. Can you show this the same way? Is it exact for quartics?

Thanks for your help

Thank you! Before reading your message I tried a quadratic one and it worked, then a cubic one but didn't worked (now I found my calculus error!) and then I gave up because I had the sentiment I wasn't proving anything. I didn't had the idea to put the f(x) as a general form like [tex]a_0x^3+a_1x^2+a_2x+a_3[/tex]. Now it worked till cubic ones, so the degree of precision of the formula is 3.
So to solve the problem, we have first to get a vague idea of the answer and then try testing the polynomials. There is no way to do it in one shot... (Maybe unless to see the coefficient in front of the variable of the higher degree and to see that integrated they are not equal to them in the formula given... hard).

Thinking about this, a somewhat simpler approach is just to check 1, x, x^2 and x^3 separately. Since the integral and the formula are both linear, it will then work for linear combinations of those.

What do I do if I don't know how to start a problem?

If you're struggling to start a problem, the first thing you should do is take a step back and read through the problem carefully. Make sure you understand what the problem is asking for and what information is given.

How can I break down a problem into smaller steps?

One way to approach a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can help make the problem less overwhelming and easier to solve. Start by identifying the key information and variables in the problem, and then think about how you can use that information to solve the problem.

Is it helpful to draw diagrams or make charts when starting a problem?

Yes, creating visual aids like diagrams or charts can be very helpful when starting a problem. They can help you better understand the problem and its components, and can also assist in organizing your thoughts and figuring out a solution.

What should I do if I still don't know how to start the problem after reading it multiple times?

If you've read the problem multiple times and still don't know how to start, try talking to someone else about it. Often, explaining the problem to someone else can help you better understand it yourself and come up with a solution. You can also try looking for similar problems in textbooks or online to get some ideas on how to approach it.

Should I skip a problem if I don't know how to start it?

It's generally not a good idea to skip a problem if you don't know how to start it. Even if you can't solve the problem completely, attempting it can help you learn and practice problem-solving skills. You can always come back to it later or ask for help if needed.